chapter 24: who are you calling stupid, idiot

That was miserable.

   But, surprisingly, not because of Kai. She was actually my saving grace in that hellhole.

Best Jeanist was trying to make us some sort of model citizens or something, the only voice of reason being Kai, who might as well have been on the floor kicking and screaming all day. She always had something sassy to say back to every nit picky word of advice or correction that bastard had to give, which was entertaining to say the least. It was kinda funny seeing her so mad, I hadn't seen her like that since the bus ride to USJ when the villains attacked.

It's annoying, something about the way she handled today just makes me even more drawn to her. She's just as stubborn as I am, if not more so, and I love how she's never afraid to say exactly what she's thinking at any given moment. She has no one to impress by being professional or obedient, not even the number 4 hero.

   When we're finally released from Best Jeanist's hellish grasp, we catch the same train home, and we're both still fuming because of how he fucked with our hair. Kai's is actually brushed for once, but it's also straightened flat, so she looks like some sort of strange business woman, and definitely not the Kai I know. My hair is combed into some side-part nonsense that makes me want to kill myself when I look in the mirror.

   "How is he the number 4 hero?!" says a frustrated Kai. "He's the lamest person I've ever met in my life! He was trying to dull our sparkle."

   "Dull our sparkle?"

   "Yes! We may be a little rough around the edges, but that's what makes us interesting! I'm not gonna fall into some cookie-cutter idea of what a hero should be! I'm gonna be me, whether people like me or not."

   I sigh. "Well, I want to be the number one hero. And it seems like I need to get my act straight if I want to do that."

   "Bullshit! Please, for the love of god, don't change, Kitty-kat. You're perfect the way you are."

   "But-"

   "But nothing! Look at Endeavor. That guy fucking sucks, and he's number 2."

   "Yeahh, I guess you're right."

   "I always am."

   We ride in silence for a few minutes, then Kai pops her head up.

   "Hey! I've been meaning to ask you."

   "What's up?"

   "I have 2 tickets to the amusement park, did you wanna come with me?"

   "Amusement park? Where?"

   "It's about an hour train ride away. Please come! It'd be so fun!"

   I think back to what she said at lunch yesterday.

   "Why don't you ask Kirishima?"

   She sighs. "I already asked him, he can't go."

   So I'm her second choice? Like hell I'd go with her now!

   "I don't want to go," I say bluntly.

   "C'mon, please? They have a new rollercoaster that's supposed to be insane!"

   "Nah."

   A sly smile appears on her lips. "Oh, I get it. You're scared of rollercoasters."

   "Not gonna work, Glitch-girl."

   "You are. But it's okay. Maybe I can get Denki to come with me."

   I clench my fist.

   "You would take that idiot?!"