chapter 32: kill me now

Kai likes to pretend that she didn't just go on a drug binge for two weeks, but it's fine. I'd like to forget about it too. 

We continue our travels, and start taking a look at the more luxurious things in life. We've decided to tour the most famous and exclusive restaurants on the map.

Now, traveling to popular tourist destinations and teleporting into clubs for free is one thing, but when she starts buying me the most expensive things on the menu at places with Michelin stars, I start to get a little suspicious.

   July 11
   2:33pm
   Florence, Italy

   "Where do you get the money to pay for all of this stuff?" I ask, mouth full of the best risotto I've ever eaten.

   She shakes her head. "Don't worry about it."

   I swallow. "No, tell me."

   She sighs. "How many times have I asked you not to ask me questions like that?"

   "Kai. We've been together a while now. Why can't you just be honest with me?"

   "Woah, there," she says, holding up her hand. "Slow your roll. We're not together."

   I roll my eyes. "You know what I mean. Where did you get the money?"

   She sighs. "Nobody's gonna miss it."

   My eyes grow wide. "Don't tell me you stole this money."

   "See, this is why I can't be honest with you, you're judgmental."

   "I'm not judgmental! You can't be stealing from people!"

   "I didn't steal it from a person, you think I would take someone else's money?!" she says, clearly offended. She sits back in her chair and folds her arms. "I stole it from a bank."

   "Kai!" I say kind of loudly, and a couple people turn to look at us. I lean in and lower my voice to a harsh whisper. "You robbed a bank?!"

   She rolls her eyes. "It's more like I burgled a bank. I didn't come in with a gun saying 'put the money in the bag!' I just glitched right into the safe and got what I needed."

I cover my face with my hands. "Kai, what the hell is wrong with you?"

She shakes her head with a smirk. "You really are a goody-two-shoes."

"That's not what it is!" I say through clenched teeth, still in a hushed voice. "But we're supposed to be heroes, not criminals!"

Her smile disappears. "Oh, so now I'm a criminal?"

"I mean yeah, you kinda are."

She narrows her eyes. "What? So you think you're better than me or something?"

"I didn't say that."

"But that's what you mean."

"No it's not! I'm just saying you can't steal money from banks, and then go blow all the money on expensive food. If we get caught, I can kiss being the number one hero goodbye."

    She scoffs. "Oh, don't tell me." A cocky smile appears on her lips. "This is about your sad little pipe dream of being number one?" she remarks, in a condescending tone. "You don't think that's actually gonna happen, do you?" she chuckles.

"What the hell is your problem?!" I yell, no longer caring if people stare.

She rolls her eyes. "It's fine, Bakugo. I'll just travel alone." She reaches across the table, grabs my hand, snaps me to my room, then disappears.