chapter 82: after

When we finally reach the ground, Kiri immediately wraps his arms around me in a bear hug.

"Kai!" he cries, warmly. "I was so afraid I'd lost you!"

I clear my throat as I gently take his arms from around me and keep them in front of me, as to not take advantage of his kindness. "I was fine," I mumble, with a half-smile.

He furrows his brow. "You don't look fine," he says with a concerned look, as he lightly cups my aching cheek and brushes it softly with his thumb.

I gulp. I'm sure I look pathetic right about now, considering my throbbing hand, swollen face, and dried blood flaking off my chin and cheeks.

   "By the way," he continues, "Not gonna lie, Kai. I'm kinda peeved that you went off on your own."

   I glance at the others who are all in some sort of disguise.

   "Look at y'all's ridiculous getup! No way you had permission for that stunt you just pulled, hypocrite."

   Kiri scoffs. "You had me worried sick! It was bad enough with Bakugo, but you too? I was a wreck! I couldn't just stand by while both of you were in danger."

   "Exactly! Then you know how I felt about Katsuki, so cut it out."

   Kiri sighs. "I guess you're right. But hey, what the hell happened in there? How'd you get so beat up?"

   "By being a dumbass!" Katsuki interjects. "She tried to 'save me' all by herself! She should have just had faith I would have been fine on my own, instead of putting herself in danger like the idiot she is!" He spits every word with the utmost anger. His face is almost red with rage, and his face twisted into a look even greater than contempt. I can tell that he's seething, but it's not for the same reason he's saying aloud. It's something much deeper, much more detrimental.

   Even though he just confessed his undying love for me, he hates me. I'm sure of it.

"And Bakugo!" Kiri exclaims taking his hand from my cheek to wrap his arms around Katsuki in a bro hug, completely ignoring his small fit of rage. "I can't believe it! You put those villains in their place didn't you?"

He looks at Kiri, face relaxing into expressionlessness. "You think I'd let those bastards have anything on me?" he says, without his usual cocky tone.

I try to avoid eye contact with him, but it happens. And when our eyes meet, I immediately feel like throwing up. The look on his face is something I'd expect, but it doesn't make it any easier seeing it. It's no longer a scowl, nor a look of contempt. His eyes are empty, and his mouth in a slight downturn of disappointment.

   Even though my emotional relationship with him just got insanely more complicated, all I have on my mind is damage control.

Out of panic, I grab his arm and pull him to the side. "Kittykat," I whisper in his ear, desperately. "I'm sorry."

He takes my arm off his. "I don't want your apology," he spits.

I grab his arm again, with my nails accidentally seeping into his arm in nervousness and desperation. "Please." It comes out as an embarrassing squeak, but it's all I can manage. "Please don't tell."

He rips his arm away, in a more violent way this time, leaving a red scratch on his arm. "You think I would do that for you?" he scoffs. "After this?"

My stomach twists and turns in knots as the reality seeps in of what my fate will be in a few short hours. "Kitty..." I plead. "You said that you loved me. And now you're gonna sell me out instead of letting me go home? How is prison better than my old life?"

He shoots me a cold look, then averts his eyes to the big screen, where he watches my boss and my teacher begin their battle.

Despite my personal life hanging in the balance, this is something I gotta see.

   I look on helplessly as I watch the person I've been working for for however many years fight the person whom I've come to love and respect through his love and kindness.

   It hurts me to see both of these men who have which I've dedicated so much of my life and energy fight each other tooth and nail, but the time I've served to one of them seems futile now that it's a choice between the two.

   The one who I whole-heartedly hope will win is no other than the one who's bounty started all of this.

   All Might.