chapter 95: possessed

When Tomura eventually comes in, he turns on the lamp before sitting down at the foot of the bed, facing away from me. He hangs his head. "Aerie," he says, flatly. "I'm sorry."

I don't reply.

"It's my fault. I left you alone with them," he says, speaking in a low monotone voice. "If I would have known those degenerates would have even thought about doing something like that to you, I never would have. I already killed them, but I wish I could have made them suffer."

I can tell that guilt is getting to him, that's the only reason why he would ever apologize to me. I really do believe that that's the last thing he wanted to happen to me, though. I know him well, and I know that he would never willingly put me in a situation like that.

"You didn't know," is all I manage to say.

He turns his head to look at me. "I'm sorry I hit you."

Now, that's something I did not expect to hear coming from him. Tomura's always justified it when he's hit me, convincing me that I deserved it, and I believe him half the time.

"I love you so much, Aerie," he continues. "I hope one day that you'll forgive me." He then stands, walks over to the other side of the bed, and gets under the covers. "But I understand if you can't," he says, then turns off the lamp.

My heart slightly flutters at his kind words, for some unknown reason, and it scares me.

What reason could I possibly have for feeling something towards him besides disgust and anger? What the hell is wrong with me?

I close my eyes and try and figure out exactly that. I rifle through all of my thoughts searching for the parts of me that despise him, but for some reason, my hatred for him has greatly subsided, and I'm left the pieces of love that I thought I'd lost for him long ago.

Something possesses me at this moment to move closer to him, just to feel him warmth.

"Do you want me to hold you, kitten?" he asks softly.

"Yes." The word slips out of my mouth before I can catch it, before I can tell myself how horrible of an idea it is.

"Okay. Come here."

I inch closer to him, and lay my head on his chest. He wraps his arm around me and kisses the top of my head.

I lift my head up to look at him, and he looks right back at me, with a kindness in his eyes that I haven't seen from him in a long time. I study his familiar face, and all of the sudden, a realization hits me like a freight train.

Tomura truly does love me. Earlier, when I tried to end it, he was crying along with me. My pain became his, and isn't love the cause of that? I've been his for so long, and I know for sure that he cares for me. I start to think about the abuse, and quickly come to the conclusion that every time he hurt me was because of how afraid he was to lose me. Isn't that part of what love is? To do everything possible to keep them by your side?

   Then, for some unknown reason, I get a feeling. The feeling that, after all this time, I don't want to resist him anymore.

   I continue to study his face, slowly moving mine closer and closer.

   He looks down at me, brows slightly furrowed as if he's trying to figure out what exactly I'm about to do.

   And before reason can tell me not to, I put my lips to his.

   He immediately kisses me back, softly and gently.

   I pull back for a moment to look at him, and although he's not smiling, I can tell how happy he is.