chapter 67: feast your eyes

The look on Katsuki's face alone is enough to give me a buzz. And when he's at a complete loss for words in amazement of my ability, the night becomes all the more sweet. The whole thing is kind of a blur, me being so high on adrenaline that all I can think about is how much I want to kiss him again. I end up taking him to the penthouse in Dubai, and making out with him for hours upon hours. He tells me that I'm amazing, which is something I know, but that I hardly hear, and it makes me tingle. I have to take him home after a few hours, and after I kiss him goodbye, I beam right back to my spot in Brazil to think.

   I can't believe I just did that. After spending years keeping it inside, hiding it from absolutely everyone, I show it to Katsuki, of all people? What the hell is wrong with me? What if he tells someone? What if he looks up my quirk in the
database, and finds out who I really am?! How could I have been so reckless?!

   But as I gaze out at the glistening water before me, all I can feel is an overwhelming sense of relief, as my long lost freedom is returned to me.

   For too long, I've been locked up. Imprisoned by my own secrets and lies. I've stayed in the same country for almost a year, for Christ's sake! I had been so caught up in Tomura's world that I had completely lost myself. But here I am, where I'm truly meant to be. Anywhere. Everywhere. That's where I belong, not with some guy. I can't believe that I had gone so long without remembering what it means to be me. I'm not just a sorry villain who's only purpose is to bring someone else happiness, I'm a nomad, oozing with wanderlust and a sense of adventure. And now I have someone to bring along.

   I spend the next few weeks taking Katsuki to all of my favorite places, doing my favorite thrill-seeking activities that I haven't had a taste of in years. Doing crazy things is so much more fun with someone else rather than by yourself. Seeing Katsuki's terror on his face turn to excitement is such a beautiful sight, and I can't get enough of it.

But after 5 straight days of heart-attack inducing thrills, I decide to bring him to my favorite spot to relax, Croatia.

After having a picnic of fresh fruit on a plaid blanket by the water, I take his hand, and start to lead him to best part about this place. "Come on," I say softly, "I wanna show you something." We swim across the pool of water to the waterfall, then swim through to the oasis within. I make my way to the rock covered in soft green moss and have a seat, patting the spot next to me for Katsuki.

When he sits, we stare ahead at the water crashing down in front of us, taking in the moment of peace. After a moment, Katsuki looks over at me and smiles. "Kai," he says, holding on to my hand.

"What's up?"

He stares at me intensely, studying my face closely. "I want to be with you," he says softly, after a few moments.

Oh. Oh, no. Is this really happening?

"You're with me right now," I say, trying my hardest to stop this conversation right here and now.

He sighs, slightly annoyed. "No, like, I want to be together. I want you to be my girlfriend."

Girlfriend?! Katsuki wants me to be his girlfriend?! Oh, god. What have I gotten myself into?! This has gone way too far! What the hell was I thinking?! Sharing my deepest secret with him, traveling the world with him, getting him high on adrenaline, making out with him in the most beautiful places in the world, of course he wants me to be his girlfriend!

"Um, okay..." I say, starting to panic.

He clears his throat. "Well, will you be my girlfriend?"

Yeah, I think Katsuki is hot, I think he's a great guy, I love spending time with him, but I can't actually be with the guy! What's next? We get married? Have kids?! He's a wannabe hero! Who am I kidding?!

"No," I say.

"What?"

I shut my eyes with a deep sigh. "No, I will not be your girlfriend."

   "Why?!" he says, with a look of total betrayal on his face that kinda breaks my heart.

Alright, what can I say that won't make this guy go home and hang himself?

   "I'm not ready for a relationship right now," I say, in the kindest tone possible.

   He drops my hand. "Then what the hell are we doing?!" he shouts.

Oh, no. This is bad! I can't lose my traveling buddy over something as stupid as this!

   "We're having fun together!" I say, "We don't have to put a label on it, that makes it too serious."

   "But I want us to be serious!"

   "Oh, come on, Kats. Don't make things weird. I like how we are now."

He furrows his brow with a slight shake of his head. "I thought you liked me!"

   "I do!" I place my hand gingerly on his knee. "Of course I like you, kittykat! That's why I take you with me wherever I go. You're my best friend."

   "But why can't we be something more?!" he asks. I can tell he's on the verge of tears, and it's freaking me out.

   "I told you. I'm not ready for a relationship," I say coldly.

   "But-"

   In a desperate attempt to shut him up before this gets even more awkward, I cut him off with a kiss. When I pull away, the look on his face is slightly less pathetic. "I like the way we are now. Okay?" I say.

He nods.

I feel kinda bad for leading him on, but I just managed to find myself again, and I can't throw myself into another relationship, not after I'm finally free. I need to enjoy myself for just a little longer, because I know this can't last forever. As much as I like him, I know one day we're going to have to go our separate ways. If I let this get too far... if I let this turn into (god forbid) some sort of real love, it's gonna end in disaster.