chapter 27: i'm fucked

As I'm walking to school, I think about how I'm gonna act around Kai. Am I supposed to be nicer to her now? Is that how this works? Do I like, hold her hand or something? Is she my girlfriend now? Is she gonna go around telling everyone that we made out, or is that a secret? I'm at a loss. How am I supposed to act normal around her after last night?! She completely blew my mind, in more ways than one. 

"Oi, Bakugo!"

I look up, and see Kirishima sprinting over to me.

"So?" he says excitedly when he catches up, "How'd it go?"

   I try my hardest to fight it, but I feel the corners of my mouth turn up into a smug smirk.

   He gasps. "No way!"

   Well, there goes the whole 'secret' thing.

I roll my eyes and shake my head, now with a full on grin on my face.

   He puts his hands on my shoulders and shakes me. "You made your move?!"

   I nod, still smiling.

   He gasps again. "You kissed her, didn't you?!"

   "I did."

   Little does he know, that wasn't even the most interesting thing that happened last night.

   "Yes!" he says as he makes two fists and shakes them at the sky, with a smile even wider than mine. "I told you!"

   "I know, I know. But look, don't say anything to Kai about it. I don't know if she wants people to know or not."

   "Gotcha," he says with a wink as he points finger guns. "I'm so happy for you guys!"

   Suddenly, a flash of green, and Kai pops up right next to us. "Happy for who?" she says.

   "Um..." Kirishima awkwardly looks at either of us, unsure of what to say.

   She folds her arms. "Happy for me and Kitty-kat being an item?"

   My heart flutters.

   She thinks we're an item?

   Kirishima smiles again and nudges me. "He didn't say anything about that!"

   Kai looks at me and tilts her head. "What, so you just go around kissing people without it meaning anything?"

   I put up my hands. "Woah woah woah, who said anything about it not meaning anything?"

   She smiles excitedly. "So it did mean something, and we are an item?"

   I shrug. "I mean, yeah. Aren't we?"

   "Yeah."

   "So... does that mean you're my girlfriend?"

   She looks at me as if I've lost my mind. "Um, no."

   Ouch. I guess I got a little excited.

   I furrow my brow. "Then what does being an item mean?"

   She shrugs. "That we're a thing. But we aren't dating."

   "We aren't dating? But we just went on a date!"

   "Yes. We do stuff together, but we aren't boyfriend-girlfriend."

   I shake my head. "You're confusing."

   Kirishima holds up his hands and takes a step back. "I feel like I shouldn't be here for this conversation."

   Kai tilts her head. "Why not? We're just talking. We don't have anything to hide, right Kitty-kat?"