chapter 60: interrogation number three

I wake up in a cold sweat, with a dry mouth, a sick feeling in my stomach, and a massive headache. I groan as I roll over from my side to my back, staring up at my living room ceiling.

Why am I on the floor?

My entire face begins to ache and throb, and the taste and scent of blood fills my senses.

Oh, yeah. That.

It takes everything in my power to lift myself off the ground, and as soon as I'm up, I feel even sicker. I stumble to the bathroom, and throw up my guts.

Feeling slightly better with my stomach emptied, I stand and turn on the sink, gulping water directly out of the faucet until my mouth isn't so painfully dry.

I stand up straight to look in the mirror, and sigh. Two black eyes. A couple gashes here and there. Busted lip, and I'm pretty sure my nose is broken, too. There's dark red flakes of dry blood all over the bottom half of my face, all the way down my neck. My hair is an absolute mess, mascara is running, I look like absolute shit.

I turn on the shower and wait for the water to warm up.

I open my phone to check the time, realizing that it's already halfway through first period.

Should I just skip today all together? No, Shiggy wouldn't like that, and I'm trying to get out of the doghouse here.

I decide to shoot him a text. Just to see if he'd reply.

-hi

I set my phone down on the counter and step into the shower. It takes a lot of strength to lift my arms long enough to wash my hair, and my headache doesn't feel like it's going away anytime soon. The water feels nice, though. I watch the porcelain of the tub turn pink as I wash the blood off my face and hair, thinking about the events that took place last night.

How bad did I fuck this up? Will Tomura ever be able to forgive me? Will he ever look at me the same way again? Is he ever gonna let me come home at all? What the fuck am I gonna do?

Once I'm decently clean, I turn off the water and step out. I dry myself off best I can, and make my way to the bedroom to put on my uniform. Once I'm dressed, I look at myself in the full body mirror on my closet door. With my beat up face and proper looking uniform, I'm hardly able to recognize myself at all. I'm starting to get used to that, though.

I make a stop in the bathroom before heading out, strategically placing pieces of hair over my face to hide just how fucked up it looks. I grab my phone from the counter, checking to see if I have any notifications, with no luck.

My commute to the school is a gloomy one, being unable to teleport and all. It takes me a full 45 minutes before I finally arrive at UA, and I reach the school just in time for lunch period.

I toss around the idea of waiting out lunch period in the bathroom, I don't exactly feel hungry. But I decide that I'm gonna have to show my face sooner or later, so I might as well make an appearance now.

I reach the lunch table before anyone else, and sit quietly, keeping my head down.

   After a minute or two, I hear someone set their tray on the table, and I make a silent prayer that they don't try to communicate with me today.

"Hey," I hear Bakugo say, "Are you good?"

I can't see him through my hair, but I turn away from his voice. Hopefully he gets the hint, and just leaves me the hell alone. I can feel him staring at me, so I'm sure not to make any sudden moves, in hopes that he'll lose interest.

"Hey, guys!" Kirishima's cheery voice is enough to cause my ears to ring. "Are you excited about the camping trip this weekend?"

   Oh, yeah. The camping trip. I forgot about that. Hopefully it goes well for us, and a small victory like that will help me start getting back into Shiggy's good graces.

   I cross my arms across the table and rest my head on them. Half to hide my face, half to try and soothe my headache

"I hear we're all getting our own tent," Kirishima says, sounding excited. "Hopefully we aren't attacked by villains though."

   I lift my head up slightly. "Yeah, hopefully," I grumble sarcastically, knowing full well what Shiggy's planning to do.

"What's wrong with you?" Bakugo says, annoyingly. He tries to peer around the curtain of hair at my face, but I move away just in time.

"Hopefully there's pro-heroes around to protect us," Kirishima adds.

   Pro-heroes? That doesn't sound good for our current plans.

"You think there's gonna be pro-heroes?" I mutter.

"Of course," Kirishima chuckles. "I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a trap for the League of Villains. I mean, this is the first year they're doing this camping trip."

   Shit. Of course. I should've known an opportunity like that was too good to be true. Shiggy's not gonna be happy about this.

"Yeah, that makes sense," says Bakugo, "Baiting them in using us singled out in tents, then having the pros come in and capture them all. It's smart, just seems risky."

I nod slightly. "Well, I can't wait to be bait," I mutter, my already sour mood getting worse and worse. But just as I say that, a piece of hair slides off my face, revealing it for a moment. I quickly put it back, praying that neither of them saw.

"Whoa," says Kirishima. "What the heck happened to your face, Kai?"

   God, could this day get any worse?

"Nothing," I groan.

   Can't these two mind their own business for once?

"You expect us to believe that, dumbass?" Bakugo says, obnoxiously.

   Shut the fuck up, sparky. This is all your fault.

   Kirishima annoyingly scurries over to my side of the table, sitting in the empty seat on the other side of Bakugo.

   Well, this is just great. No getting around it now.

   He kindly moves my hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear.

"Woah," says Bakugo, "Someone totally kicked your ass."

   I knew I should've just stayed home today.

   "It's nothing, guys," I say, trying to minimize the situation. "Just a bruise."

"Who did that to you?" asks Kirishima, with a horribly worried look on his face.

   Why the fuck is this wannabe hero so nice to me all the time? Doesn't he know I want nothing to do with his kind?

"It's seriously no big deal, so stop," I snap, trying to get him to leave me the hell alone for once in his life.

"You need to go see Recovery Girl," says, Bakugo.

   God, why didn't I think of that?

I nod slightly. "Yeah, I guess I should."

   As soon as the lunch period is over, I make my way to Recovery Girl's office as quickly as possible. As soon as I walk through the door, she looks at me with concern.

   "And what happened to you, young lady?" she asks.

   "Got in a fight. Lost."

   Not exactly a lie.

   She doesn't say much else, just fixes my face, and my hand as well, while she's at it. She dismisses me back to class with a note, thankfully not asking too many questions.

   I snooze my way through the next couple classes, patiently waiting for this day to be over. And as soon as the bell rings at the end of the day, I head to the bathroom, get into a stall, and snap my fingers. I appear in my bedroom at once, and let my body fall onto the bed, fast asleep within seconds.