chapter 9: run, you idiot

"If I decide you're doing anything fishy, I'll blow you straight to kingdom come!" I yell at the warp-gate bastard as I shove his body even harder into the ground.

"That's not very hero-like, dude!" I hear Weird-hair remark from behind me.

"Nomu," the hand guy mutters. "Take out the explosive brat. We need our escape route back."

Although his body is falling apart from Icy-hot's freezing, the huge beast frees himself of the fog.

How is this thing still moving?!

The stubs where his arm and leg used to be start to ripple, and to our horror, his limbs begin to grow back.

Deku shakes in his boots. "What the- I thought his quirk was shock absorption!"

"I don't remember saying that's all he could do," Hand-face says, "This is hyper-regeneration. Nomu is a super-powered sandbag designed to withstand everything you've got."

I reluctantly gaze over my shoulder at the monster as it charges me. I don't have the speed to dodge its attack, and even if I had time to fight back, my blasts would be useless against something that can withstand All Might's power. I can do nothing but stare as it comes closer and closer, and I can tell I'm staring death in the face.

Time seems to stand still as it approaches, now so close that I can smell the stench of its breath.

I shut my eyes.

When I find the courage to open them again, there's nothing around me but bright white space. For once, feeling this empty void is a relief.

I reappear next to Deku, Glitch-girl gripping my arm. I don't think I've ever been glad to see that excited smile on her dumb face until now. She disappears almost immediately.

Deku turns to me and stares in awe. "Kacchan?! You dodged that?! Wow!"

"I didn't..." I mutter, "Shut up, you."

I look to where I was standing before, and All Might and the beast have begun to battle.

Everyone is watching in awe, but I'm searching all around the stadium to find out where the hell Glitch-girl went off to. And when I finally set eyes on her, I can hardly believe what I'm seeing.

What the hell is she doing fighting the leader of the League of Villains all by herself?!

She glitches all around Hand-face like an annoying bumble bee. She lands hits here and there, but moves quickly before he can touch her.

I can't believe she's going 1 on 1 with a villain that can kill her with one touch! Is she insane...?!

Well, now that I think about it, she can kill him with the snap of her fingers.

I can hear that they're talking, but it's too quiet for me to make out.

What the hell do those two have to talk about?

I look around to see if anyone is seeing what I'm seeing, but everyone's too focused on All Might and the Nomu. No one but me is watching Glitch-girl's stupidity and recklessness... and absolute badass-ery.

Hold up, I can't let her get all the glory of fighting this punk!

As I sprint up to help, I see Glitch-girl get too close, with Hand-face grabbing her by the left hand.

Not good.

I start to used my blasts to propel me faster.

With Glitch-girl unable to teleport away, Hand-face lifts and slams her to the ground, then stomps his foot on her hand. As she yelps in pain, he reaches down and grabs her by the throat.

Hand-face has her lifted off the ground with his hand around her neck by the time I reach them. "Are you listening now?" he hisses.

I know I can't use my quirk without hitting her too, so when I get close enough, I use a blast to propel me towards Hand-face with enough power to knock them down with my feet.

When we're all on the ground, I grab Glitch-girl's hand. "Get us the hell out of here!"

"I can't you idiot," she says, frantically. "My hand is fucked!"

Hand-face reaches for Glitch-girl and grabs her ankle, and her flesh begins to crumble.

She kicks and screams. "Let go of me, you bastard!"

I jump to my feet. I don't have time to correlate a plan with her, so I say fuck it and scoop her up off the ground, tearing her foot from his grasp. "Hold on!" I yell. She wraps an arm around my neck and I leap into the air, using an explosion to simultaneously propel us and blast that blue-haired bastard away.

When we land about 20 meters away, I rip her arm off of me and push her away. "Run, you idiot!" I exclaim, and we sprint back to where the Weird-hair, Icy-hot, and Deku are standing.

"Guys, what gives?" says Weird-hair.

"This idiot went off my herself and almost got killed by the hand guy," I say, nearly out of breath.

"Shut up!" she shouts, then folds her arms. "I would've been fine."

"How?!" I exclaim, immediately pissed off that she's not kissing my feet for saving her. "He was Darth Vader-ing your ass! He was 2 seconds away from crumbling you to pieces!"

"Well what about you attacking that warp gate and almost getting mauled by Nomu?!" she replies, looking just as angry as I am. "If I hadn't glitched you out of there you'd be dead! I told you we shouldn't try to take on these guys."

"Oh 'we shouldnt take on these guys'?" I repeat, growing more and more annoyed with every word she speaks. "Yet after glitching me, you went to 1v1 the leader?!"

"Guys, calm down!" Weird-hair steps between us. "Kai, you saved Bakugo. Bakugo, you returned the favor. You're even-steven! No point in arguing about it now."

"Yeah, and what do you know, Shitty-hair?!" I exclaim.

"Shut up, Bakugo," Glitch-girl says, seeming calm all of the sudden. "Kiri's right. We're even." She glances at him. "Even-steven."