chapter 87: sick

bakugo

I wake up to my mom calling for breakfast downstairs, and for some reason, I smile. I sit up, stretching and yawning, ready to take on this amazing, perfect day. Every day is perfect, actually. I've got the best girl around, and she's all mine. Sure, she was a villain. But her realizing the greatness of being with me was enough for her ditch her criminal ways, and that's enough for me. Now I've truly gotten ahold of her, and I'm never letting go.

I trot down the stairs, and the sight of my perfect girl at the kitchen table blesses my eyes.

"Morning," I say to the table.

"Morning?" says Mom, like she can't believe what she just heard.

I slide in the chair next to Kai. "Yeah, mom," I reply, "Good morning. It's supposed to be a beautiful day today, not a cloud in the sky."

She furrows her brow. "Are you drunk?" she says, slightly raising her voice.

"What?!" I reply, loudly, ruining the so-far peaceful ambiance of the morning. "I can't say something pleasant to my own family?!"

She sips her coffee, glancing at my dad.

He shrugs.

"It's just a little out of character," chuckles Kai, "You being pleasant and all."

How could I be unpleasant when just yesterday I was rearranging the guts of the hottest girl I've ever seen?

"What do you mean?" I say, in a sweet tone once again. "I'm always this way."

"Whatever you say, pal," says Dad.

"Why can't you guys just accept that I'm in a good mood?!" I say, getting slightly agitated.

"We do!" protests Mom. "I'm just a little surprised, that's all."

"Well, believe it," I say, then take a bite of my toast.

~

Once my parents leave for work, Kai and I spend our morning talking about anything and everything under the sun, just like we used to. And other than the reminder of betrayal I have in the back of my mind, things seem to be just like they were before.

My afternoon is pretty sad, though, with Kai going up to the school to get her hand fixed and all. But what the hell, it just gives me time to miss her.

She takes a while to come back, but according to her, she was doing a little sight seeing since she finally got her quirk back. She brings takeout, and we sit in the living room and watch anime while eating.

After a couple episodes, I glance over at her.

"So..." I say, the corners of my mouth turning up into a sly smile, "My parents still wont be home for another hour. So... whattaya say we-"

"Bakugo," she says, cutting me off, with an expression on her face I just can't decipher. It looks judgmental, but surely that's not the case.

Right?

"What?" I reply, smile fading.

"You need to chill," she chuckles.