chapter 29: misapprehensions

The last month of my life has been chaos. But a good kind of chaos. Me and Kai have jumped off cliffs in Hawaii, been to the top of Mt. Everest, surfed massive waves in Portugal, I even let her take me to see the wolves in Canada, and that's just some of the things we've done. I've come to understand that a life with Kai is one with infinite fun and excitement. We can go anywhere, at anytime, and do anything. It's absolutely amazing, and I'm so glad she chooses me to take along with her.

Kai knows so much about the world, and I learn so much from her. Even though I already knew she was smart, she's even more intelligent than she lets on. The girl's practically a genius. She's fluent in many languages, English, Spanish, and Russian, just to name a few. She has an answer to every question I ask about the places she takes me, and she always knows the coordinates we're at at any given moment. It's kind of crazy how much information she keeps. It's also insane to me that a girl my age has experienced so much already. There's not a single country she hasn't been to, not a single destination that she doesn't know everything about. It's unbelievable.

   The more time I spend with Kai, the harder I fall for her. After that first kiss, it was all over for me. She drives me absolutely insane, but I love it. She's just so unlike anyone I've ever known, in the best ways possible. She's absolutely fearless, and pretty crazy, but it makes her such an interesting person to be around, and there's never a dull moment. She's awesome, and I treasure every second I spend with her. I've found myself never wanting our time together to end.

   June 20
2:14pm
   Krka Waterfalls
Dalmatia, Croatia

Kai takes my hand and leads me back into the cool, crystal clear water. "Come on," she says, "I wanna show you something."

   I nod, now completely trusting anything she has to say about the things she wants to show me, after how amazing this last month has been.

She takes me right up to one of the waterfalls, then swims through it. On the other side is a beautiful hidden cave, with soft green moss growing on the rock, making it a perfect place to sit and watch the water crashing down in front of us.

I look at Kai sitting next to me, and I smile. She's the most amazing girl I've ever met, and I want to make her mine. I'm ready to take the next step with her. I've never been more sure about anything in my life.

"Kai," I say, grabbing onto her hand.

Her head perks up. "What's up?"

I look into those bright, curious eyes of hers. They look downright enchanting in this soft light, shining their deep emerald green. Her cheeks and nose are slightly pink from being in the sun all day, and small freckles have started to appear on their high points. She looks absolutely beautiful. Her wet hair reminds me of our first night together in the tent, and it makes me feel sentimental. I couldn't ask for a more perfect moment than this. It feels like my whole life has lead up to right here, right now, with Kai. It's like I can already hear angels singing in my head.

"I want to be with you," I say softly.

She tilts her head. "You're with me right now."

I sigh, slightly annoyed. "No, like, I want to be together. I want you to be my girlfriend."

She moves her head back a little, and raises an eyebrow. "Um, okay."

I clear my throat. "Well, will you be my girlfriend?"

"No."

The music in my ears comes to a screeching halt, as the beautifully romantic moment ends so abruptly.

"What?" I say.

I must have heard her wrong.

She sighs. "No, I will not be your girlfriend."