chapter 100: still breathing

aerie

   "Before I joined UA, I was a villain."

   And suddenly, I'm jolted awake.

   Well, I'm sure Katsuki can deal with that.

   But besides all of that nonsense, this is the happiest day in my life! Even though I'm stuck in this hellhole, my Kiri, my Katsuki, I can really talk to them! I was doubting myself at first, but now I'm 99% sure that its really them, and I'm filled with so much relief, and so much joy!

As soon as I open my eyes, I jump up, and begin to skip around my room.

   Im so overfilled with joy I begin to sing. "I found him, I found him, I love him, I love him, everything is peachy keen, I love life!"

   After I'm done singing and prancing around the room, I get a sudden head rush, my vision begins to darken, and I collapse.

   I'm not sure how long I was out by the time I wake up, but I curse myself for wasting precious sleep dreamless.

   I immediately jump up and begin to pace around, trying to force myself to lose energy so I can fall back asleep, and hopefully get some REM this time.

   After what seems like the longest awake period ever, I get down on my knees and crawl over to my corner, before laying my head down in child's pose, and trying to sleep.

   The worst part about this damn place is that no matter how much I exercise or eat to try to stay warm, once I lay on the ground, the cold cement floor takes the heat right out from under me. It's hard to get comfortable enough to actually fall asleep, but I've found that child's pose with my head resting on my hands is the best way to have the least amount of contact with the ground possible.

   After what feels like ages, I finally drift off.

~

   I open my eyes, and realize I'm dreaming immediately, as I'm in my childhood home once again. I sigh, but before I can snap my fingers, my hand is grabbed from behind.

   I whip my head around at who it could possibly be, and the sight breaks my heart.

   Aubrie.

   Although she was older than me, she's still a child, no older than she was when I left. "Don't go," she says softly. "Don't leave me with them."

   I turn to her and kneel down so we're face to face, before putting my hands on her shoulders lightly. "You don't have to worry sis, they're gone, remember?"

   She slowly shakes her head, before pointing into the dark hallway.

   I reluctantly look up, and see exactly what she was talking about.

   It's them.

   Not only is it them, it's them that night, after I did what I did. My father's head is blown to pieces, there's nothing left above his jaw, but he's somehow standing. He stands along with my mother, who has a hole in her chest that's pouring and oozing blood all over the wooden floor. They begin to walk towards us, and I panic. I hold Aubrie to me closely, before beaming us to the meadow, but once I get there, she's no longer in my arms.

   I stand for a moment, feeling a mix of emotions, wanting to, but refusing to cry.

   How could I? How could I leave her all alone after that? How could I have been so selfish?