chapter 119: crazy

aerie

   "So," I say, before clearing my throat. "Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not dead. The heroes didn't actually kill me, but wasn't due to a lack of effort. And once they figured out I was alive by tapping Kiri's phone, they captured me and Katsuki, even though Kats didn't even do anything illegal. They tortured the two of us for weeks, trying to get Katsuki to lie to the public to try and keep up their facade, and, well, that backfired. Big time. If you didn't think the heroes were bad before, get a load of this."

   "Okay," Tomura says, "That was good. Now this is where we'll play the footage you stole from their headquarters."

   Katsuki sighs. "Do we really have to play the audio?" he grumbles.

   Tomura rolls his eyes. "It's for effect. Do you want the public to side with us or not, brat?"

   "Hey," I say, sternly. "You promised to be nice."

   Tomura sighs. "Ok, so we'll play the cauterization video here," he says, then shoots Katsuki a dirty look. "With audio."

   Katsuki rolls his eyes. "Tch."

   "Okay, so what do I say now?" I ask.

   "Just say how you felt. Say how much it hurt and how scared you were."

   "Um, okay. Well, it was pretty-"

   "Look at the camera. And sound serious. Sound damaged."

   I roll my eyes. "I don't need you micromanaging me, okay? I got this."

   Tomura sighs. "Go ahead."

   "Well, the first part of the torture was painful. The torture itself was something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy- well... maybe I would... but that's beside the point. The worst part of it all was seeing what it did to Katsuki."

   "Can you not?" Katsuki groans, "I'm trying to seem like a cool villain, and not a little bitch."

   "Oh, so loving your girlfriend makes you a little bitch?" I say, folding my arms.

   "Guys, guys," Kiri says, "Can't we all just get along, just until we make the video? We're like, trying to change the world here."

   "You're right," I say, then look back at the camera. "So, as I was saying. The torture wasn't even really for me, it was for Katsuki. They knew how much he loved me, and they wanted to wear him down by hurting me when he couldn't do anything to help. They never even laid a finger on him. They were working him with pure psychological torture, that's how fucked up the organization is. They forced him to watch me scream as they burned me, because they knew that it was impossible for him to bear. It was pure evil."

   "Okay," says Tomura, "Now, Bakugo, tell them what they did next," he says, then points the camera at Katsuki.

"I don't want to talk about this part," Katsuki says, folding his arms.

"Don't be selfish," says Tomura. "The people deserve to know. We're playing the footage that the redhead put together either way, so this is your chance to explain yourself."

"What parts are in the video?" he asks, looking annoyed. "I better not be crying."

"That's the most important part," says Tomura.

Katsuki rolls his eyes. "What all is in it?"

"It's the first punch, you throwing up, you telling her how much you love her, then you cradling her when she's passed out," says Kiri.

"How much crying is in it?"

Kiri sighs. "You're crying the whole time, man."

"This is so stupid," Katsuki groans, eyes glued to the ceiling.

"C'mon, kittykat," I say. "This is important! People need to know how fucked up the heroes are. They need to see the lengths they went to to keep the public on their side. This is gonna be detrimental to all of the rapport that they've built with the people since your video."

"Fine," he sighs, then looks at the camera. "The heroes made me do some fucked up shit, alright? I didn't want to do it, but Aerie was begging me not to give up, because she knew if I did what they wanted, they'd kill her. I did what I had to. That's all I have to say about it."

"Okay, that was good," says Tomura. "After we play the footage of the beatings, we'll play the video of what those degenerates were saying right before we got there, and I don't think that needs any explanation."

"So..." I say, looking around. "What now?"

"I think that's all we need," Tomura replies. "After I release this video, I'm going to the hospital to work on my transformation. You guys already did your part, so you can go wherever you want."

"So..." I look at Tomura. "This is goodbye?"

   Now, I know this man has put me through so much bullshit, but I also know that I'm gonna miss him like hell. Yes, he was an asshole to me for a long time, but I truly think he came around at the end there. Even if his motivations were purely political, he risked his life to save us, and for that, I'll forever be grateful.

"Good fucking riddance," Katsuki spits.

   I look over at that angry boy that I adore more than anything, and I can't help but smile. We've been through the wringer together, but he's always stuck by my side no matter what. He's forgiven me for everything I've ever done, and he treats me so gently, with so much kindness, that I know I'll always have a place to call home as long as he's around.

Tomura smiles softly at me. "I'll call you if I need you," he says. "But I think it's time for you to be free again."

   Ah, yes, to be free. I'm not sure if I've ever truly experienced that feeling. From the time I was stuck with my parents, to the time I was on the run weighed down by my guilt and loneliness, to when I was stuck in the apartment with Tomura for years on end, the closest I ever got to being free was when I was traveling the world with Katsuki, but even then, I was tied down to something else. But now, all of my sins are laid out on the table, and I'm protected by the opinions of the public. I have nothing to hide, nothing to feel guilty about, nothing to run away from. For once in my life, I'm finally able to make my own choices, to do whatever I want, whenever I want, without the fear of letting anyone down.

I look at Kiri and Katsuki with an excited smile.

   The feeling of knowing that I now have two people by my side who love me more than anything, and knowing in my heart that they'll always accept me and love me for who I am brings me so much joy that I can't even begin to describe. All of the happiest moments of my life was spent with these two, and now, we get to be together forever.

   "So..." I say, with a giddy feeling in my throat. "Where are we going first? Cliff jumping or skydiving?"

Katsuki raises his eyebrows. "That's what you want to do right now? Seriously? I thought you'd want to relax."

"That is how I relax!" I reply.

Katsuki shakes his head with a slight chuckle. "You're crazy."

"Crazy for you, maybe," I reply with a smirk.

   I hold out my hands for my boys to take hold, and when they do, I shut my eyes, and picture paradise.

   And when I open them, staring out at the view of rolling green hills in the distance as we stand on a giant rock covered with green moss next to a raging waterfall crashing into the crystal blue pool of water below, I take a deep breath, and take it all in.

   This is it.

   Freedom.

   I glance on either side of me to see my favorite people's terrified expressions, and grin excitedly. "You ready?" I say.

   "Fuck no," Katsuki replies.

   "Totally!" says Kiri, "Let's do it!"

   I step to the edge of the rock, still squeezing both of their hands as the adrenaline begins to course through my veins. "Okay," I say. "Let's go."