chapter 37: perfect

When I get home from the cafe, Mom and Dad are leaving for their date night.

   "We'll be home late," Mom says as she walks out the door, "Probably around 3. Get some sleep, big day tomorrow."

   I nod, and head upstairs.

   I lay my head down to sleep, but my mind continues to race. I'm thinking about the finals tomorrow, but mostly worrying about Kai. How am I supposed to protect her when I don't even know what from? But I'm comforted by the thought that as long as she's in the next room, no one's gonna lay a finger on her, not on my watch. After an hour of tossing and turning, I finally drift off into a light sleep.

~

My sweet dreams of crushing Deku are suddenly interrupted by a blood curdling scream from the next room.

   "No! Please don't take me!" I hear Kai scream.

   I jump out of bed and sprint down the hall to Kai's room. I burst through the door and flip on the light, ready to destroy whoever the hell broke in. But all I see is Kai, rocking in the corner with her hands over her ears, screaming bloody murder.

   I rush over to her. "Kai, what the hell?!"

   She doesn't respond, she just sits there, screaming.

   I look around the room, but there's nobody here. I bend down and grab ahold of her wrists and take them off her ears. "Kai, wake up."

   She immediately freaks out, hitting me and kicking me, I have no choice but to restrain her. I grab her wrists and pin them to the ground, being careful not to hurt her hand. "Kai!" I yell, now on top of her. "Calm down! It's me!"

   She blinks a few times and stops screaming, finally recognizing what's going on. She furrows her brow. "Hey," she says casually.

   "What the hell is wrong with you?!" I say, panting, heart still racing at the thought of an intruder.

   She lightly shakes her head like she's trying to wake her brain up. "Sorry, I was dreaming," she mutters.

   "About what?"

   She furrows her brow. "Um, spiders."

   "Spiders?"

   "Yeah, spiders."

   "You said "please don't take me" to a spider?"

   "It was a big spider," she says softly.

   I shake my head. "You suck at lying."

   Her eyes dart around the room. "What are you doing in here?" she asks, changing the subject.

   "You screamed."

"Oh. So you thought I was in danger?"

"Um, yeah."

   "So you came in here, why? To protect me?"

   "What else was I supposed to do, dumbass?"

   "And you woke me up. So... some would say... that you saved me."

   I raise an eyebrow. "Um, I guess."

   "Oh," she says with a soft smile, glancing at my mouth, then back at my eyes. "My hero."

   I can't help but smile a little bit. It's been a while since she's said that to me. I shake my head with a light chuckle. "You're crazy."

   "Crazy for you, maybe."