chapter 81: gnashing of teeth

aerie

When the world manifests around me again, I quickly look around, trying to orient myself. Then, I see that sweet boy standing next to me, quickly shaking his head to do the same.

   I turn to him, placing my hands on his shoulders. "Katsuki," I say, as calmly as possible. "I'm sorry that I've put you through this. But it's over now. You won't hear from me again. You can just forget that any of this ever happened."

   He scrunches his face in an annoyed disbelief, then shoves my hands of his shoulders. "Forget?" he says, "You want me to just forget?"

   "Yes. It's over now, okay? I'm leaving."

  "Leaving? Where are you going?"

   I look down with a sigh. "I'm going back."

   His eyes widen, like he can't believe what he just heard. "Back?" he says, raising his voice slightly. "You mean with him?"

   I shut my eyes with a deep breath, then open them again, staring at his bewildered expression. "It's the only way," I say, softly.

   "The fuck it is!" he shouts, suddenly showing much more anger than disbelief. "You're coming with me! I'm getting you the hell out of here!"

   "No, kittykat," I say, shaking my head. "You have to leave me. Just go with the pros, they'll get you to safety."

   He half chuckles/half scoffs. "You really are an idiot if you think that's what's about to happen."

   I sigh, preparing to once again try to reason with him.

   But then, all around us, villains begin to spot us, and immediately head our way.

   I smile softly to myself, and begin to walk towards them, prepared to go home.

   But then, Katsuki grabs my waist from behind.

   "Hey!" I say, trying to pry his strong arms from my body, but it's no use. "Bakugo, you have to leave me!" I cry.

   "Fuck no!" he shouts, then throws me to the ground. "I'm not leaving you!"

   Before I can stand up, he steps over me to get between me and my fellow villains, then begins to blast away at all of my hopes to get back to Tomura before it's too late.

   "You have to!" I plead, scrambling to my feet at the first chance I get. "If you don't let me go, he'll never stop coming after us! He'll kill you!"

   Katsuki turns to me, and wastes no time getting in my face. "I don't give a shit!" he shouts. "There's no way in hell I'm leaving you with that scum!"

   "But-"

   "No!"

   "Katsuki, listen-"

   "I said no!"

   "Why?!"

   "Because I love you, Kaiya!" he screams, eyes shimmering in pain.

   My heart just about stops at the sudden declaration.

  "I'm a gullible fucking moron, and I love you! Okay?! Is that fucking enough for you?!"

   I feel the disgusting feeling of guilt gnawing away at whatever sympathy for myself that I have left.

   He thinks that he loves me. I've tricked this poor boy into thinking he loves me.

   I really am a villain.

   I blow air out my nose as I shake my head. "That's not even my name," I say, trying to best to blow off this confession of his.

   "I don't care!" he screams, blasting away another villain, then turning back to me. "I don't care that that's not your name!"

   I gulp.

   "I don't care that you're a villain," he says, suddenly at a normal speaking volume, voice beginning to sound weak and desperate. "I don't care that you lied to me."

   "Katsuki-"

   "I don't care that you've been in love with somebody else this entire time!" he explodes, anger beginning to show once more.

   "You don't-"

   "Shut the hell up and listen to me!" he screams.

   I bite my tongue.

   "I don't fucking care about any of this shit!" he shouts, before blasting away another villain. He then turns back to me, staring at me as tears well up in his eyes. "I love you, Aerie!" he cries, voice cracking as the tears begin to fall. "And nothing is going to take you away from me!"

    I cling to my chest, as the sound of him speaking my name has stolen all of the air from my lungs. The reality of the evils I have done suddenly dawns on me, and it's debilitating. I fall to my knees. I bury my face in my hands as I begin to completely break down.

   Katsuki is the one person in my entire life that has loved me unconditionally. He would never do anything to hurt me, yet here I am, destroying the only truly good thing that I've ever had.

   Katsuki bends down and grabs my hands off my face so I have to look him in the eyes. "How could you do this to me?!" he cries.

   "I'm sorry!" I reply

   I am sorry. I'm the most remorseful I've ever been. I walked into this innocent person's life, stomped all over his heart, and now I'm leaving? I can find ways to justify all my other crimes, but what kind of monster does that to someone?

Then, I hear something.

I look up to see a giant ramp of Todoroki's ice, blurry through the tears in my eyes, and I see Kiri, Iida, and Deku soar into the air from the top of it.

Before I can even comprehend what's going on, Katsuki throws me over his shoulder, and uses his blasts to send us flying in the air to where Kiri waits with an outstretched hand.