chapter 84: who i am

While I wait for Recovery Girl to arrive, I have time to think.

Okay, I'm gonna have my quirk again soon, so what's my next move? To skip town? Disappear?
No, that would that put Katsuki in danger again.

Should I just give up and go back to Shiggy, even though I don't feel the same way about him anymore?
Ugh, That would be torture.

But what other choice do I really have? To stay here? At UA?
Surely not, I'm bound to get found out eventually.

What's really here for me anymore anyway? I'm sure Katsuki hates me with a passion now.
Well, I guess I still have Kiri. He's actually the only thing I have at this point. Maybe I should wait a minute before I dip out without thinking.

Although I don't know my plan for the future, I do know my next step: Talk to Katsuki.

Eventually, Recovery Girl finally decides to show her face in my hospital room, then she makes me choose between healing my face or my hand for now, I obviously choose the latter, yada yada yada.

   And as soon as my hand is healed, I beam into the hallway, and it's not long before I hear that beautiful voice down the hall a bit.

"I told you, they ambushed me! If it would've been a fair fight, they'd be dead on the ground!"

I make my way to the room the noise is coming from, decide to be polite, and knock on the door.

"What the hell do you want?!" Katsuki shouts.

I crack the door open just enough for me to poke my head in.

There Katsuki sits on his cot, with a disgusted look on his face once he sees me. Along with his mom, who's standing with her arms crossed angrily on the other side of the bed.

"Permission to enter?" I say sweetly.

"Fuck no!" he replies.

"Hey! Watch your damn mouth, Katsuki!" his mom shouts, in the same tone as him, but she's way scarier than he is. "Come here sweetheart," she says to me, as she walks towards me with open arms, before wrapping me in a motherly hug.

Okay, new feeling.

"I'm so glad you're okay, Kai," she says. "Thank you for going after him, I would've done the same thing if I could have."

Little does she know, it was me who put him in danger in the first place. This entire situation is my fault, yet here she is, hugging me as if I did some valiant deed.

"It's no big deal," I reply. "I didn't really do a good job anyway."

She pulls away. "You're right," she says, sternly. "And if you were my kin, I'd smack you upside the head for putting yourself in danger too."

"Yeah," says Katsuki. "She's a fucking moron, and I don't want her in here."

"Be nice, Katsuki!" she shouts, "She tried to help you!"

"No," I say, "It's alright. I understand why he's upset. But, and I'm sorry to ask you this, but can I have a word with him, alone?"

She sighs. "Go ahead," she says, then quietly leaves.

As soon as she shuts the door, I walk over to the cot and sit next to the boy that I adore so much. "Do you hate me?" I ask.

"Duh," he says, refusing to look in my direction.

"Really?"

"Yes, really! Now get the hell out of here!"

I tilt my head. "Then why didn't you sell me out?" I ask.