-Prom Night-

(Belongs to the first Alternate Ending)

May 16 2024 or 2025-Sarah's POV

"Are you done yet?" an eager Uncle James groans from the bedroom door

"Nope." I short as I wrap a piece of hair around my curling iron

"Do you know when you're going to be?"

"Nope."

"Are you doing this to torture me?"

"Absolutely." I draw out somewhat slowly as I unwrap the piece and cup it in my hand

Uncle James and I are back in New York, for this week at least. He's been doing better in therapy and he's more comfortable out in public.

Right now i'm doing my hair for the dance that's tonight. Ned is picking me up at four this evening so we can be there by 4:45 for escorts and pictures. I'm actually kind of excited, Uncle James helped me pick out my dress along with the assistance from Yelena.

Uncle James has been fighting himself for the past few hours to see how my hair and makeup process is going. I don't take that long to get ready, but if i've learned anything in my life is that you never know when or how easily things can be ripped away from you. Hydra may have my past, but they don't have my future. So, i'm trying to get myself to learn how to take my time with things again.

When i'm done with my hair, I look back at the picture before putting some shine drops in my hair. With my dress I thought a sleek ponytail would look really nice with a shimmery hair tie. I plan on doing a red lip, but I can't pick out eyelid colors for my eyes.

This is risky, but i'm going to ask Uncle James for help on this. So, I grab a sharpie and my eyeshadow palette then slide them underneath the door which ends up bumping into his butt, apparently he's sitting against the door.

"I need you to pick three colors from there, mark it by the name of the color with the marker." I direct him

I hear him take the cap off the marker before I hear the marker texture against the paneling of the makeup item. After all the Delilah Barnes/Sarah Rogers stuff went down a few years ago, I have all of the makeup in one collective area. I just use what looks good for the time being, works for me.

I see the product slip underneath the door along, I stick my hand out to grab the sharpie, instead i'm met with the cold tip of a familiar black marker against my skin. Pulling my hand back to see a small smiley face on the skin in between my thumb and pointer finger, telling me that Uncle James is happy. I open the door, peeking just a bit to see him try and push himself through the door.

"Nope, nope, nope." I say as I push it shut just in time

The thing about Uncle James is that if you try and close a door on him, he just sticks his left arm in the doorway. Then he pushes the door open with his right hand, allowing him to open it completely. It sounds weirder than he is, but when I hide from him during emotional breakdowns or something..it comes in handy. However, this time I shut it just before his left hand's fingertips can make their way to the door.

"Not this time, Mr. White Wolf." I smile as I put my back to the door

I turn around a little and lock it, making sure that the door is "Uncle James proof". When it is, I walk back to the vanity and look back down at my hand.

"Should I cover the smile on my hand?" I ask him

"No, i've got something better." he replies

Once I get all of my hair heat protection sprayed and flat ironed, I start my makeup. I start with the eyes, seeing that he mostly picked out cream and taupe shades of eyeshadow. After this, I conceal my under-eyes and my few red marks from the past before setting it with powder and begin the other details. I add a small amount of blush and put some sparkles on my eye lids for no reason.