{61} Bucky Confesses

November 14 2015-Kingston-Sarah's POV

"Sarah, I need you here." Uncle James states into the phone

"Okay, I can get someone to drive you here or do you want me there?"

"Here, please." he pleads shakily

"Okay, okay. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I-i'll see you when you get here."

I nod to myself and hang up, tucking my phone into the back pocket of my pants before grabbing my bag and jacket. I throw them over my shoulders as I call Happy, knowing he's shopping for the compound today. I hate to interrupt it, but my family is higher on my list of priorities.

Thirty Minutes Later-Sarah's POV

When I get up the stairs, I see Steve discussing things with Uncle James while I wonder if I should listen in or not. Once i'm in the room, I get a small smile from Steve and a nervous look from my uncle as he sits on the couch. Steve walks to his room, leaving Uncle James and I to discuss whatever he wanted me here for.

"Come on, let's walk around a little bit." I urge

"I-I have to tell you something first." he pushes

"Tell me while we're walking." I pull him up

He sighs to himself, though I hear it perfectly from just above him as he begins to get up from his spot. We make our way around, me trying to distract myself from my thoughts. I keep in mind that Uncle James isn't doing well, but when are either of us ever?

As we walk, I think about every tiny thing Uncle James has done for me in our decades of knowing each other. He's done everything that he told Steve he did, I think he actually withheld information on things he's done for me because it would make Steve more upset by telling him he's not my parent.

He pulls away, grabbing my hands while his eyes hold a deeply felt emotion in them.

"Sarah.." he hesitates

I kirk my head to the side, awaiting the rest of what his words may be.

"I love you." he confesses

I back away from my uncle and lifelong caretaker and, the one person who helped me make good days and held me together on my bad days. The one who knows everything about me inside and out along with my deepest desires and needs that he has tried to fulfill by being the only father figure I've had when I was in the worst place in my life.

And I can't even fathom the foreign words that sound so natural coming from him, yet they terrify me.

As I back farther and farther away, his face fills with such dread, a look of deep misery and sorrow that I haven't seen in a while.

"You don't get to love me." I shake my head in denial

"Wh-why not?" tears fill his eyes

"You're the person who deserves it the most, the person whose I thought I would love if I knew what it was..but I don't."

Love is for people who know light.

"That was love, what I did and do for you, was and is love." Uncle James pushes while he staggers to me with his hands hanging down

"That wasn't love. I was an assignment, I was a job you never got paid for." I shake my head in denial

"Sarah, I love you..I do."

"You don't know love. You said it yourself." I fight my tears

"I didn't know love after I got stuck in Siberia until I met you. You are the love in my life. To me..you are my daughter..until Steve fights hard enough to raise you himself." he tries