{73}

December 12 2015
Avenger Compound, Medbay
Steve's POV

Soon after, the nurse from earlier brings Sarah's notebook to her along with the pen and pencil Sarah requested. She grabs it with a kind smile and opens it to begin writing things in it. She turns it from me, making me see the leather backing to keep her words secret to me.

"Do you think Uncle James is okay?" Sarah peeks up from her paper

"I can check on him when I'm done here, I'll see how he's doing." I assure

"You would do that?"

"Of course I would, he's my best friend." I nod

She looks at me deeply, almost as if she's deciphering something.

"Which means that I do it for you too, you mean more to me than he does." I add

She looks back down in her notebook and cotinues writing, almost making me feel as if I'm sitting in a shrink's office.

"I think he feels threatened by you." Sarah mentions

"Why would he feel like that?" I shift in my seat

"For fifty or so years, he's dedicated his life to me."

"He feels as if he's being relocated in your life." I nod

"I've thought of him as a parent figure for as long as I've known him because I always knew that if the three of us had been meant to have normal lives; he would have been. I am more than used to having a collection of parent figures because my parents have always been important to the world. If we had been living in our originally expected lives, he would've been my uncle and helped raise Kathy and I as his nieces until he no longer could. But..he isn't as used to having a chid figure in his life because he went a part of his life without one, so when I came into his-he sort of..latched on." she explains

"I just wish I didn't have to fear you running off with him."

"Please don't let that ruin what we both want. I want to be close to you like Kathy is, we would probably end up being closer because of the life we live compared to the one that you, her and Ma used to live. My fear from my past keeps me from trusting men yet I seemingly end up being in closed off jets, foreign countries and hotel rooms with them while there are weapons everywhere; I'm always forced to face my fears at some point."

I don't think that her telling this makes her stronger, but it's going to help make her feel good at all.

"I guess I just need to put some more of my hope in you instead." I nod

She looks back in her notebook and continues writing in it for the duration of me getting my blood put in the bag for her, looking up at me every once in a while. The nurse who put the needle in my arm walks over to me and prepares me for when she's going to take it out.

The feeling of a needle being in my arm feels much better than it did when Bucky broke my ankle in '32 or when I fell off the swing in '28 and broke my collarbone as well as shattered my shoulder blade-my Ma thought I would never be able to use my left arm again.

The nurse eases the needle from my arm and seals the bag from bacteria before wrapping my left elbow in gauze and this weird stretchy stuff that tenses the very second I go to pull my shirt sleeve back down to cover it.

She throws out my needle in the same bin I put the bloody rag in earlier before grabbing a new needle and doing what she needs to do to prepare it for Sarah. The nurse hangs up the bag an gets ready to put in the needle, making Sarah reach over and grab for my hand that I unquestionably give her access to.