{66}

The Next Morning
Rogers' House
06:00
Sarah's POV

I wake up from the sound of fabric ruffling at the side of my old bed, the sound gets larger as slight cursing is laid into the moment's vocabulary. My eyes blink open to be graced with the sight of my D.C. bedroom, a sight I've been desperate to see for longer than I can calculate.

When I realize where the cursing is coming from, my mood changes from relieved to an unexplainable feeling. I squint my eyes to see Steve rolling around at my bedside while grunting and saying words he knows I don't approve of.

"Steve?" I wince as I wipe my tired eyes

"What? Oh, good morning Honey." he smiles up at me as he stops rolling

"What are you doing?" I ask as I try to sit up in bed

I'm greeted with the sight of a completely relaxed Uncle James who's sleeping with his mouth slight agape and his eyebrows in a resting state while his head rests on my lower right shoulder.

"I was trying to get out of bed to go on my morning run, but these blankets don't want to let go of me." Steve explains

I nod before I run my fingers over my old caretaker's hair, placing a motherly kiss as he usually does to me as he's taken both roles for me over the years. I look back at Steve who's smiling over at me, though there's a much more sad emotion floating in his eyes.

"I wanna go on your run with you this morning." I suggest to my father

"Really?"

"Yeah, it'd be nice to see the neighborhood again." I nod

Maybe even have some quality family time with only two of us and not fifty people.

or at least what feels like it.

"Well, wear whatever you're gonna wear and meet me downstairs."

I nod at his addition to the situation

He smiles with a small nod at my silent response, a hopeful gleam in his eyes as he begins rolling around again.

"Oh, do you want help with that?" I point down

"Yes please." he sighs as he leans back on his hands

I lean over the bed and begin pulling the blankets that are wrapped around his calves like vines while two large hands (one flesh, one metal) are soon pulling my middle back to him so I won't fall.

"Thank you." Steve nods

"No problem, let me get this one going for the day and I'll change my shirt." I respond as i'm cuddled into

"You're not gonna have an easy time getting him detached from you." Steve chuckles as he gets up from off the floor

"I know, that's why I need you to get me a moistened q-tip." I add with a smirk

"He's gonna freak out."

"He can't hurt me." I laugh with a quiet but somewhat jokingly evil tone

Steve shakes his head with a small smile as he gets up from the floor, walking to the room just around the outside wall of mine. After a few seconds, he peeps into my doorway to tell me he has to use the washroom. I shrug it off and focus back on the sleepy man to my right who when I slowly turn around to look at, his eyes are wide open and staring at me.

He jumps in his spot from my lack of reaction to his attempt at scaring me, though I would think he knows.

"Good morning." I nod slowly