{2}

June 22 1943
Brooklyn, New York
Serum Procedure
Steve's POV

Since Bucky's gone over to England, Katherine is being babysat by my mother-in-law today since she's been visiting. She volunteered since Peggy and I will be gone for a good couple of hours and we don't know how she's going to react to me looking different. Katherine holds her blanket that Peggy's mother made for her tightly in her grip.

"Alright Sweetie, say goodbye to your papa." Amanda smiles with Katherine on the floor

I kneel down on the floor and Katherine crawls over to me with her braces on her legs. When she gets to me she reaches up, I help her to the best of my ability so that I can give her a hug.

She wraps her arms around my small body, I hold her as close and safely as I can. I pull away before Amanda pulls Katherine onto her hip, trying to get her to wave. I place a kiss on my daughter's forehead and my mother-in-law's cheek before backing away.

"Bye, Pa." Katherine says in her little voice as she waves

"Bye Sweetheart, i'll see you in a couple of hours. I love you." I smile at the girl

"I wuv u too." she says back

"We should get going." Peggy says from the door

After she says her goodbyes to our family, we head to the S.S.R. headquarters to meet up with our driver for today. When we're in the car, we pass by some old familiar buildings that I recognize from fights i've been in. Once we get to the building Peggy greets a woman in the antique shop before building me to a library.

A few secret doors open and a hallways shows itself with nurses and recruitment guards throughout the building. Peggy guides me to the procedure room with a bold look on her face, I grab her hand a kiss it before keeping a hold on it. When I get to the railing I take my wedding ring off and hand it to her, i'm not sure if it will fit soon.

Thirty Minutes Later-Steve's POV

The capsule tilts me back, slowly closing as beaming lights begin to brighten around me, I can feel the serum pumping through my failing heart as it may be the last time that it beats.

"Stephen, are you alright?" Dr. Erskine knocks

"I'm guessing it's too late to go to the bathroom." I joke

He backs away and mumbles something to the doctors outside.

The lights become so bright, the pain in my body becomes so pure as the serum spreads to my veins and muscles, each exact molecule in my body being changed and strengthened. I soon hear myself groaning out in pain, the sound perfectly expressing the stretching of my body as it feels as if it's being split in two from my head to my toes.

My stomach feels tense and nauseating, but at the same time it feels as if it's getting better in a way I never thought it would be able to. I hear someone shouting and I soon realize who it is, listening in.

"No! I can take it!" I force out

The burning of the light floods into my system, flushing away the illness from my DNA, the serum pushing out every non-healthy part of me out of my bodily systems by perspiring it out of my sweat glands. My chest hurts with heart trouble, but it beats softer and easier until soon the pressure and burning heat of the light turns off.

My spine seems as if it's unfolding or stretching, but when it settles it feels much stronger and dependable than it ever has. My feet cramp up, but stretch in their own way as I almost feel my arches reforming themselves at the bottom of the capsule.

The capsule tilts up where steam fills the glass panel at the top that I would be able to see out of if as if it was clean. The tube is opens and i'm blessed with the sight of my beautiful wife running down the stairs to check on me while Dr. Erskine walks over as nurses bring me towels and a shirt.