{45}

July 4 2015-Three Hours Later-Steve's POV

When we pull up to the retirement home, we see the loads of cars parked throughout the city, traffic took an extra two hours.

"When does it close tonight?" Sarah asks as she sits up in the backseat

"Ten o'clock I think, special hours for a holiday since the fireworks don't start til a bit later."

"What time to they start?'

"It changes. You ready?" I ask

"Sure."

We open our doors, climbing out from the vehicle and moving around for a few seconds before I begin she starts walking to the building.

"Sarah, you should probably leave your accessory in the car." I raise my volume

"Why?"

"There's a metal detector." I say loud enough for her to hear

She turns around and throws her holster into my hand from thirty feet away that has a one hundred percent guarantee that I would catch it. I turn around just in time to see three knives coming my way, once I catch them I hide them in the glove compartment, grab my jacket from the backseat and lock the car before running after Sarah. When we get to the main door, I guide us in before Sarah sees the metal detector.

Once we go through it, I guide us up to Peggy's room before realizing Katherine is who we should probably visit first. I walk us a little farther down the hall and get Sarah ready to go in.

"Is she in good shape?" Sarah asks

"Probably the best that a person with her illnesses can." I respond

Sarah nods, letting me know I can open the door. I turn the nob and sort of sneak us in before hiding Sarah behind the wall like I did a few years ago. When she's in position, I walk to Katherine's bed and go to greet her, when she sees me her eyes light up with childlike excitement.

"Pa!" she squeals in her accent as she sits up a bit more

I laugh a little bit as I lean down for a hug, she happily accepts and grabs my neck before I can pull away. She kisses both of my cheeks then let's go of me with a big smile on her face.

"That's all I could get you for your birthday, sorry." she apologizes

"They were perfectly fine, it's okay. How are you doing?" I question as I sit at her bedside

"Healthy as you were when you tried to get Uncle Buck to let you sign up for a marathon because you thought the cardio would help you."

"Ah, the Fun Run of '36, he didn't let me out the house for a month."

"Yep." she nods

"I brought someone here with me." I change the topic

"Did you hide them behind the wall like you did that one time?"

"Yep." I nod

"Come out here please." Katherine whines as she dramatically tips her head back onto her stack of pillows