Unexpected Visitor

Dawn was breaking over Shipwreck Cove as a galleon glided smoothly through the Devil's Throat, black sails being taken in as the ship slid like a shadow into the dock.

Word of her arrival spread rapidly, swiftly reaching Elizabeth Swann as she pored over matters of business for the crew of her ship, boring matters like accounts and the replacements of a few men.

"Captain Sparrow's just arrived."

"What's Jack doing here?" Elizabeth muttered to herself, though she left the little study, glad of an excuse to leave her paperwork.

Wandering through the long corridors towards the way out of the Pirate Hall, she paused, startled by soft footsteps behind her. Her hand automatically dropping to the pistol at her hip as she pivoted sharply, eyes scanning the shadows.

A deep, throaty chuckle drifted out of the gloom. "If I was intendin' on killin' you, Captain Swann, you'd have been dead five minutes ago."

"King," she said sharply. "And it's Turner, not Swann."

"Mm, sure. Ye ain't signing your documents as Turner, so s'far as I'm concerned, it's Swann. And I ain't callin' ye "King" when the Court isn't in session, so, Captain Swann, you may relax." 

Captain Teague, Keeper of the Pirate Code, stepped out into the light in the corridor, a bottle held loosely in one hand. A terrier sat patiently at his heels, eyeing Elizabeth.

"Good mornin' by the way. I presume you heard of the Pearl's arrival?"

She nodded. "Is that where you're going?"

"Mm hm. Quite possibly the only thing that'd have me out of bed at this ungodly hour is the arrival of that ship."
A slight smile flickered on his lips for a minute as he glanced towards a window.

Elizabeth looked at him briefly in curiosity, but he seemed disinclined to divulge anything further. "I didn't know you had a dog," she said instead of asking more questions.

"Three, actually. Two Irish terriers and the other terrier, the one I've trained to carry keys. Found him a year ago here, a stray, and brought him home. He earns his keep. So do the other two, excellent ratters and companions. I have at least one shadow wherever I go." Teague glanced fondly at the dog by his side, giving her head an affectionate pat.

"Pet her, she's friendly," he added, noticing Elizabeth moving hesitantly toward the dog, awaiting permission.

Sure enough, the animal leaned into her touch, tail wagging happily at the attention. "What's her name?"

"Rua, an'-c'mon, walk and talk at the same time, want to meet the Pearl as she docks." Teague set off again, and she fell into step with him. "Fiadh, her daughter. And the mongrel who keeps the keys is called Hector." A sly grin appeared briefly on his lips.

Elizabeth couldn't help the giggle that escaped her. "You...you called your dog "Hector", as in Barbossa?"

That sly grin was still on the Keeper's lips as he nodded. "Aye.
Figured if he could name a monkey after my boy, I could give a mutt his name. Plus he steals things, and rarely obeys commands. Seemed fittin' I thought."

As they'd talked, the Pearl had lowered anchor and her captain had stepped onto the dock, approaching the two of them before she could ask Teague the question that had arisen at his words.

"What've I done to deserve a welcoming committee?" Jack rocked back on his heels, scrutinising both of them with a degree of suspicion. "I haven't broken the Code, at least not knowingly."

A low rumble of laughter came from Teague as he looked Jack over. "Entertain the thought that I'm meetin' ye as your Dad, not Captain Teague, Jackie."