Interrupted Marriage

Cutler Beckett smirked in satisfaction as he adjusted his powdered wig and straightened his coat in the mirror.

In a few minutes, he would be finally marrying the woman he'd always longed for, though she didn't know it yet.

"Come in." He looked expectantly at the door as somebody knocked, then entered.

"She's ready for you sir."

Cutler nodded, looking himself over one final time before going out to where his bride was waiting.

EITC officers in their finest uniforms made up the wedding guests, a priest stood waiting. He took his place, looking expectantly for his bride.

Movement caught his eye, and he turned to watch her approach.

The voluminous skirts of her ivory dress swayed with her quick step, her head high, hair swept up in an elaborate fashion. A heavy diamond necklace glittered over her décolleté, hopefully successfully distracting everyone from the disappointingly small size of her breasts.
Hazel eyes raked him with a fierce gaze as she reached his side.

"Where-" she hissed into his ear "-is he?"

"Dead. Now shut up and enjoy the wedding."

He held her arm in a harsh grip as they recited the vows. She bit her lip, keeping the tears at bay.

The priest hesitated, knowing Beckett wouldn't like his next words, but they were tradition.

"If anyone has any objections-"

"Aye." A voice rang out clearly from the shadows at the very back of the congregation. "I do."

"I do, too," another voice added, equally as clearly.

His bride inhaled sharply, a hand covering her mouth.

Two figures stepped into the light, a petite, auburn-haired woman spinning a pair of long knives and a slightly taller man, his eyes glittering black as he held a pistol pointed straight at Beckett.

Mouth open in shock, Beckett stared for a moment. "You...You're supposed to be dead! I killed you."

"Nah, ye didn't obviously, 'cause I'm standin' here, very much not dead. Now, shut up, because I object to this, on the grounds that she's already married."

Recovering his composure, Beckett scoffed haughtily. "An illegally preformed ceremony on a pirate ship and rings of brass hardly makes a marriage."

"Twas legal, an' the rings are gold," the woman hissed, knives glimmering as she spun them. "Let her go, or I'll be doin' something ye really won't like with these knives."

Beckett turned on the priest. "Pronounce us wed," he said forcefully.

A shot ensured the priest never spoke the words.

The woman exchanged a look with her companion, one eyebrow raised.
"D'ye want to do the honours Edward?"

"Soracha, it would be my genuine pleasure," he replied, pulling the trigger of the pistol that was pointing at Beckett.

Then he turned to the EITC, who were recovering from their shock. "Get the fuck out."

The pews emptied, but Soracha looked worried. "They'll be back to arrest us. We've gotta go, quickly."

She took the lead, flipping her knives idly, her hair tumbling down her back, startlingly vivid against the white of her loose shirt.

Roxanne unfastened the diamonds from around her neck, carelessly dropping them behind her as she walked.

"You could sell them."

She shook her head, dislodging a few strands of hair from her updo, which curled around her ears. "I don't want anything to do with them, not even the money from a sale of them."

She turned, narrowed eyes scanning her husband, who raised a brow at her.

"Ribs or abdomen?"

He shook his head slightly. "How the fuck could ye tell?"

"Experience. Which is it?"

He rolled his eyes, a resigned smirk playing on his lips.
"Ribs. Definitely not broken, I know what that feels like. Just sore."

Stepping closer, he swiftly plucked the pins out of her hair, letting it fall around her face. His fingers caressed her cheekbone as he swept a strand behind her ear.

"I've missed ye," he murmured, his dark eyes gentle, hand cupping her cheek.

"Missed you too." She looked at him, getting lost in his eyes. "Beckett told me you were dead."

He snorted. "Nope, not dead. D'ye need proof?"

Roxanne nodded and he claimed her lips with his, tongue plundering her mouth, the kiss almost brutal with passion. Her knees buckled slightly at the intensity but he pulled her tight against him, his hands gentle in contrast with his punishing lips.
One hand slipped up to tangle in her hair, the other still holding her close.

She was breathless and flushed when he pulled back, his eyes now almost black.

"Not dead, and not willing to let anyone else lay their hands on ye again. You're mine, Asthore, always."

Roxanne accepted the ring he was returning to her, putting it back where it belonged.

"Yours," she whispered. And once safely back on the ship, she gave herself to him.