Sparrow & Swann

"Sao Feng is dead." The announcement, coming from a newcomer, silenced the Pirate Hall. "He fell to the Flying Dutchman."

"And made you Captain?! They're just givin' the bloody title away now." Jack looked at the woman in disbelief as the Pirate Lords around the table murmured among themselves.

The murmuring grew louder, until one voice floated out of the shadows at the head of the long table. "And who might you be?"

Elizabeth paused at hearing a woman speak, the clipped English accent unexpected in the pirate haven of Shipwreck Cove. She drew herself up slightly. "My name is Elizabeth Swann. I...I am now in command of Sao Feng's ship and crew, previously served aboard-"

"The Black Pearl. And, if my information is correct, had a role in sending one Jack Sparrow to Davy Jones's Locker, leaving him for the Kraken."
The idle strumming of a guitar that had been in the background ceased quite abruptly. A chair scraped on the floor, bringing the speaker close to the table and into the light so Elizabeth saw her for the first time.

Sitting erect in the chair, authority radiated off the woman's slight frame, one lithe leg crossed casually over the other. Although her white shirt and breeches were no more ornate than those of any common sailor, the black frock coat worn over them was lavishly embroidered in silver thread and looked to be velvet, and had probably cost a small fortune.

Long dark brown hair fell in loose waves, the rich colour occasionally interspersed with a silver strand. Her eyes had fixed on Elizabeth, the flickering lights of many candles dancing over high cheekbones and a hard, defined jaw.

"Allow me to introduce myself." Her teeth flashed in a dangerous smile.

"Captain Roxanne Sparrow, King of the Brethren Court."

"Spa-" Elizabeth couldn't help the soft gasp that escaped her as she took in the woman's features again.

"Oh yes." Roxanne's smile widened as she tilted her head back slightly, though her eyes stayed fixed on her. "I believe that makes you the woman who murdered my son."

The chamber erupted into noise, Jack himself making his way from the bottom of the table towards Elizabeth, a rather anxious look on his face.
A gunshot from somewhere above the hall blew a candle off it's holder on the wall just behind Elizabeth's shoulder. She flinched away, silence falling again almost immediately as heads turned to the shadowy balcony over the hall.

Jack reached Elizabeth just as a set of footsteps sounded directly behind him, stopping him short. She was staring over his shoulder, transfixed with fear at the sight of whoever was behind him.

A gnarled hand landed firmly on his bicep. "You're in my way, boy."

With a nervous swallow, Jack allowed himself to be steered aside, and Elizabeth found herself face to face with an older man who was no taller than her, a feathered hat shading his weathered face. Dark eyes glittered under it's brim, hard and cold, fixed on her with deadly intent.

"So..." he drew out the word, his low voice rough and threatening. "You're the upstart wench who sent Jack to the Locker."

"And who might you be?" she snapped, trying to hide her fear.

The hall had gone completely silent, the Lords watching intently. The man doffed his hat mockingly, rings glimmering on his fingers. "Captain Teague, Keeper of the Pirate Code, and husband to the Pirate King." He paused. "And father of her son."

Every fibre of Elizabeth's being was screaming at her to run, to get far, far away from these dangerous pirates that she had ended up on the wrong side of.
They scared her more than Barbossa had ever done, more than seeing the Pearl's crew turn to skeletons in the moonlight, possibly more even than the Kraken.

She swallowed hard, but found herself unable to meet the Code Keeper's fathomless black gaze. Instead, she looked down at the floor.

"I...I suppose I am to be punished?" She eventually asked, voice trembling slightly.

The Pirate King had risen to her feet. "I don't believe the Code says anything about what is to be done in the event of the murder of the Keeper's heir by another Pirate Lord. I could be mistaken, could I get that checked please?"

"Certainly." Stepping over to stand next to Roxanne, Captain Teague made a gesture and two men emerged from somewhere in the hall, carrying an enormous book between them. They hefted it onto the table and disappeared into the shadows, while Teague whistled sharply. "Hector, come."

Out of the corner of her eye, Elizabeth saw Barbossa scowl, his lips moving as he muttered under his breath. A grey mongrel dog trotted over to Teague's side, tail wagging as he took a key from it's mouth and unlocked the padlock holding the massive tome closed.

After several minutes of silence, he spoke. "You thought correctly, nothin' written regarding the heir. So, carry out justice as you see fit, your majesty."

Elizabeth swallowed, her palms sweaty as her heart raced in her chest. Roxanne was surveying her, an expression of mild disgust on her aristocratic features. Standing at her side, Teague looked indifferent save for the hatred still blazing in his eyes.

"Captain Sparrow, do you have any input on this situation?"

"If I may-" the voice was Barbossa's, but Teague growled "Shut up," viciously before he got any more out.
"Jack, if you want your opinion aired, do it quickly, before I spatter the wall behind us with Miss Swann's brains."

"That...that seems a bit-"

Elizabeth cowered as Teague stepped closer to her. "Believe me missy, I've blown people's heads off for far less than killin' my boy." His broad fingers caressed the handle of one of the two pistols in his belt.

"The Flying Dutchman." She muttered, desperate. "Jones killed Sao Feng, under Lord Beckett's command. On the way here with a fleet. We need to do something."

"Well by all means-"

"What?" Roxanne asked sharply, eyes fixing on her. "Repeat that. Louder." She laid a hand on her husband's shoulder as Elizabeth spoke up.

One of the Lords scoffed. "Shipwreck Cove is a fortress, they'll never find us here."

Roxanne looked around the room in silence for a second. "It's a chance we can't afford to take. We need to strike first, keep them away from this place and it's people."

Her gaze swept over the hall and it's occupants, and her voice rang out as she gave her order.

"Prepare every vessel that floats. At dawn, we're a war."

As the Court began to break up, Teague spoke again. "Miss Swann, should you survive tomorrow, you'll have an appointment with the business end of my pistol."

Elizabeth left the hall feeling very rattled, knowing war was coming, and very aware that she had just made enemies of two very dangerous people.