Empty

The study was silent, empty.

It was also cold, as the fire had long ago burned out, leaving a pile of ashes in the place of the blazing flames.

A glass decanter sat on the imposing desk, almost full of good Irish whiskey. Papers were stacked neatly beside it, a skull weighing them down, with a discarded quill fashioned out of a tropical bird's feather lying alongside.

In front of the decanter, a pipe sat abandoned, its bowl carved with shamrocks and Celtic knots, a leather pouch spilling tobacco across the dark mahogany surface of the desk.

Heavy velvet curtains were only partially open, a beam of sunlight slanting through the room. It fell on the tall wooden bookshelves covering the back wall, slicing across a heavy chest sitting on a small, sturdy table.

The light glimmered on the lock of the chest, fashioned in the shape of a skull.

Beside the bookshelves was a sofa with carved wooden limbs, the midnight-blue velvet upholstery slightly faded by the sun.

A book lay at one end of it, pages facing down. The leather spine was badly creased, the embossing of the title faded, a dark stain marring the back cover.

On the floor sat a glass bottle, empty save for sticky scarlet residue, and two chipped mugs, both tea-stained.

A dusting of russet dog hair coated the other end of the sofa, indicating where the animal usually lay.

The space was empty.

The study was empty, because the Keeper was dead.