Encounter

"Are you immortal?"

"Beg pardon?"
Edward Teague turned his gaze from the tavern bustle to the young barmaid standing by his table with a bottle and glass in her hands.

A faint blush rose in her cheeks and she shifted nervously, her wide brown eyes flickering downwards. "It's just...I caught your name from one of the men you came in with, and there's rumours going around that you, um, can't be killed and I was wondering if they were true. I'm sorry, I'll-"

Laughter bubbled up from his chest, his head tipping back slightly as throaty chuckles shook his shoulders.

Eventually regaining some composure, Teague gestured to the bottle she was holding. "I'll answer your question if you stop standin' there gawking and hand those over."

He poured himself a drink, kicking the other chair at the table out and nodding at it in silent command.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Maria," she murmured while sitting down. "Haven't got a last name."

Teague hummed as he took a sip from the wineglass. "An' who exactly is spreading the rumour about my immortality?"

"Lots of people."

"Like who?"

Maria fiddled with a rag she'd taken out of her apron pocket, trying to avoid his steady, direct gaze. "Men who say they sailed under you, they say what killed other members of the crew didn't kill you. They say your ship's doctor is a witch and you sold your soul to her in exchange for her keeping you alive and that's why she's on your ship-"

Another laugh met her words, the captain's dark eyes alight with mirth under the brim of his feathered hat. "My ship's doctor is a witch, is she? I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear that, especially if control of my soul is part of the contract."

He traced his forefinger over the rim of the glass, light glinting on a heavy ruby and gold ring. Maria couldn't help noticing the state of his hands, knuckles swollen and slightly stiff-looking, the weathered, calloused skin flecked with scars, branching veins stretching across the backs. Hands, she realised, that had very probably killed an awful lot of people.

"You don't look like I thought you would."

The words were out before she could stop them, and it took an effort not to shrink away as the humour faded from his features, a frown darkening his eyes, which never left her.

"And what were you expectin', missy?"

"I...I don't know. I've heard stories about you, about your ships and crew, and the prizes you've taken, the raids, your...um, temper and the only one who could calm it...the witch who tends to your crew and her girlfriend who can keep the ship safe through any storm at sea,
the quartermaster who came from high society and who could best the Devil in a duel. I thought the captain of that crew would be more...well, scarier, I guess is the word I'm looking for."

Light glimmered on the silver skull ring that sat on Teague's right hand as he drummed his fingertips briefly on the table.

"So I ain't as scary as my reputation led you to believe I'd be. Luckily for you, I have no reason to show off my infamous temper while sitting here drinking by myself, I doubt you'd like to witness what happens when I'm angered."

Maria opened her mouth to respond but before she could, a large man caught sight of her. "Oi! You! Get back to work, I don't pay you to sit on your backside!" he shouted, lashing out in her direction as he squeezed past the table.

Quick as lightning, Teague had the barrel of a pistol aimed steadily at the man's head. "I'm talkin' to her." His low voice was laced with warning, authority clear in his otherwise unchanged, casual posture, and the easy grip he had on the weapon. "She'll go back to work when I'm finished with her, and not before." Silver flashed as he grinned darkly. "Savvy?"

The man had gone slightly pale, nodding nervously as he stepped away hastily. "O-of course. Sorry to bother you...Mr...?"

"Captain Teague. Now, piss off an' bother some other bastard before my finger slips on this guns trigger and your brains end up splattered over that already filthy wall behind you."

He didn't lower the pistol until the man could no longer be seen through the people in the room, returning his attention to Maria while tucking the firearm away underneath his embroidered waistcoat.

She was staring at him. "Tha...thank you."

Teague hummed shortly in response. He took a drink, looking around briefly before he returned his attention to her again.

"Ye work for him?" He tilted his head in the direction the man had gone.

"Yes."

"An' is he always like that?"

Maria nodded, brushing hair away from her face. The pirate scoffed under his breath, trinkets tied in his dreadlocks jingling lightly as he shook his head. "Areshole. Tavern owners often are though."

"I suppose you're in a lot of taverns, you'd know," she said.

He poured himself more wine. "That, and one of my friends is a barmaid back home, so I've heard and seen a lot through her."

"Oh." Maria murmured. "Where is home?" she asked curiously, unable to place his accent though knowing it wasn't like anyone she'd heard here in Tortuga.

"Ireland. Far away from here."

"And do you live by yourself? The men say most pirates come ashore for drink and whores because they get lonely. Do you have someone to stop you getting lonely?"

The chair creaked as Teague shifted his weight. "No, I live with my family, an' I don't come ashore for prostitutes. My wife comes with me to sea, so I don't get lonely."

For a moment Maria was silent, thinking about the stories. "The Sparrow woman, the Pirate King, that's your-"

"My old lady, yeah. Pirate King by my doing, actually." A slight smile tugged on his lips. "I appointed her to that position."

"Aren't women supposed to be bad luck on ships?"

"Well, my luck would be a hell of a lot worse if I didn't have em aboard, so they stay. They're only bad luck if the crew fight among themselves about bedding them, and that isn't allowed on my ship. Plus, two of the three women are fucking each other, and the third is fucking me, meaning they're all off-limits to other men."

"Oh. I guess that makes sense. I'm sorry if I've been bothering you, I should go back to work." Maria looked down apologetically.

Teague flicked a hand dismissively. "You ain't bothering me, I'd soon let you know if you were. Though, I probably should be gettin' back before someone comes looking for me."

He finished off his drink, paying her and leaving a handsome tip as he rose and doffed his feathered hat. "The name's immortal, the body ain't. The thing about immortality is you have to live with yourself forever, and I couldn't handle that. The stories'll keep me alive long after I'm gone, and that's good enough for me."

He raised a hand in farewell and slipped out of the tavern silently, leaving her to ponder his parting words.