Soracha as Code Keeper

"Ye are not leavin' this bed."

Edward Teague eyed the woman standing at his bedside, hands on her hips.

"I have to," he said patiently.
"The Keeper has to be present for a meetin' to happen."

"Well, you're gonna have to cancel the meeting...hold on, could you, theoretically, get someone to sit in as Keeper?"

"Well," Teague said slowly, "I don't think there's anythin' sayin' that ye can't get someone to sit in as Keeper."
His dark gaze fell on the silver skull ring on his right hand.

Then he raised an eyebrow. "Who d'ye have in mind Soracha?"

A slight smile touched the Irishwoman's lips as she pushed a stray strand of auburn hair behind her ear.

"Me," she answered simply.

Teague looked at her incredulously.
"Excuse me?"

"Me. I have meself in mind."
She raised a hand to halt his immediate protest.
"You've just told me there's nothin' in the Code sayin' someone can't sit in your seat. So what'd be wrong with me sittin' in it?"

"For a start, ye don't know the bloody Code. Secondly, ye kinda need to be able to shoot. Thirdly, I somehow don't think the Pirate King'll agree to ye borrowin' me seat."

Soracha narrowed her eyes.
"What makes ye think I can't shoot?"

"You don't carry a pistol an' I've never seen ye fire one," Teague answered.

She scoffed slightly.
"I don't like shooting. That doesn't mean I can't shoot."

Teague reached under his pillow, pulling out a pistol.
"Empty bottle on the desk. Shoot it," he said, handing her the pistol.

Soracha cocked the hammer and aimed.
For a few moments she stood perfectly still, pistol held steady.

Then she pulled the trigger.
The bottle shattered, sending shards of glass over the desk and cabin floor.

"I'm impressed."

Soracha spun the smoking pistol, a smile playing on her lips.
"I'm full of surprises, Eddie Teague."

He glared at her playfully.

She grinned, tossed the pistol onto the bed and sat down.
"So, do I get to borrow your seat?"

"You'd have to ask the Pirate King."

Soracha stood, opened the door and called, "Can I request an audience with the Pirate King?"

A laugh floated down the corridor, accompanied by footsteps.
A moment later, a woman entered, her eyes amused.

"The Pirate King heard your request."

She crossed the room, brushing a stray wave of brown hair out of her face, revealing a scar that curved from her left ear down to her jaw, white against her lightly tanned skin.

Sitting down, she crossed her legs and turned her hazel gaze expectantly on Teague and Soracha.

"Why did you request an audience with me?"

"Because I'm going to be sitting in the chair usually occupied by your husband while the Brethren Court meet," said Soracha.

"Oh really?" Roxanne raised an eyebrow. "When did I agree to this?"

"Just agree with her Asthore. There's absolutely no point in arguin' cause she's just as stubborn as ye are," Teague said with a wry smile.

Roxanne sighed slightly.
"I don't have time to argue, the meeting starts in less than an hour. Soracha, load a pistol or two while I go track down that bloody dog."