After the Court

She waited until he was finished talking to Teague, then re-entered the hall.

He was alone, feet propped on the long table, his chair tipped onto it's rear legs.

"Captain Sparrow?"

"King Swann," he said, nodding respectfully as he lowered his feet, pulling out the chair beside him.

Elizabeth sat down, running a finger over the slashes and stains disfiguring the surface of the wooden table.

"Why?" she asked.

"Cause I believe in you Lizzie," he answered.
"You've a spirit of fire and a heart of gold. You can handle a blade, and a gun, and the responsibilities of being King."

"How do you know about the responsibilities?"

He smiled, glinting gold.

"Capitan Chevalle wasn't telling the truth about there being no Kings since the first Court. This isn't the fourth time the Court has met either. They met loads of times when Teague still held a seat and have met twice since I became a Pirate Lord."

Elizabeth frowned.
"Who was the last Pirate King then?"

"My mother," Jack answered quietly, twisting a silver ring around his index finger, it's green stone flashing.

"Your mother?!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

"Yeah. Married to Teague. Pirate Lord of Madagascar," replied Jack.

Elizabeth stared at him.
"Married to...You mean Captain Teague is..."

"My dad. Yes. It's a loosely-maintained tradition that the King is female and married to the Keeper of the Code," Jack explained.

Suddenly he smiled mischievously.

"I'll be the next Code Keeper, so Teague'll bring up marr-i-age before we leave here. You ready to become King Elizabeth Sparrow?"

"That's why you voted for me," she said slowly.

"Yeah. I love you, Lizzie."

"Prove it," she breathed, rising to her feet.

Jack's hands wrapped around the base of her head as his chapped, rum-flavoured lips met hers.

It was what their first kiss should have been, gentle but passionate, his tongue coaxing her lips apart to explore her mouth.

This time, he led the dance and she followed, fingers tucked into his belts, pulling his body close to hers.

This time, the kiss was broken due to lack of air rather than the click of a shackle being locked.

Elizabeth's eyes were shining as she gazed at Jack.

"I love you. I'll tell Will our marriage is forced."

"Clever Lizzie," said Jack in admiration.

He laced his long fingers through hers.

"Now let's go find Teague and tell him he has a marr-i-age to preform."