Parents

She lay propped on pillows, gazing at the precious bundle in her arms, the culmination of hours of agony and terror.

"Asthore?" A gentle hand on her shoulder startled her and she glanced up at her husband sheepishly; he had obviously been trying to get her attention for a while.

"Sorry. What's wrong?" she asked softly.

"Nothin', I was just wondering if ye wanted anything," he replied, squeezing her shoulder gently.

"I think I'm alright at the moment, thank you." Her reply was quiet, eyes once again fixed on the baby in her arms.

Edward Teague pressed a tender kiss to his wife's head as he cautiously sat on the bed beside her.

For several long moments, he was silent, then he kissed her softly.

"Ye are," he murmured feverently, "the most beautiful, amazing, strong woman ever and I do not deserve ye."

"Stop talking shit Eddie," she said teasingly.

"I meant every word," he replied, his dark gaze brimming with love and pride as he looked at his wife and son.

A smile slipped onto her lips. "Of course you deserve me. You've shown me more love than anyone else ever did, you gave me the life I always dreamed of, you asked me to marry you and now we have a little one, half thanks to you."

He chuckled. "I do not deserve half of the credit. All I did was put my cock into ye. You had to do all the work, and then bring our little Sparrow into the world to meet us."

Roxanne snorted, caressing the baby's cheek.

"Our Sparrow," she said softly. "You're definitely happy to use Sparrow?"

"Of course. It's got a hell of a better reputation than Teague has, and I completely understand your reasoning behind not usin' me Mum's maiden name."

"I often forget that it is your mother's maiden name. What was your father's last name?"

Teague was silent for a long moment, and his voice was flat and hard when he finally replied.
"O'Neil. His last name was O'Neil. From the north of the country. Technically, I own a house up there now but only Soracha and me know where it is."

Roxanne kissed his cheek quietly; silently thanking him for finally sharing this information.

"Jack?" she asked, changing the subject entirely, confirming they were still using the name they'd previously agreed on for their son.

"Aye. Jack Sparrow sounds perfect to me," Teague replied, his arm slipping gently around her shoulders.

A soft, content sigh escaped his lips.

"I love ye both," he murmured "more than anything else in the world."

He squeezed her shoulders lightly, kissing Jack's head.

"Would you like to hold him?" Roxanne shifted her arms slightly.

Teague nodded, taking Jack gently from her, his calloused hands incredibly gentle, instinctively settling Jack into position in his arms.

Jack barely stirred, snuggling close to his father's chest without waking up.

She smiled softly, watching them.

"You look so much more natural with him than I probably do."

"I've had practice. There's eight years between Áine and me. I looked after her a lot when she was little."

"That does make sense," Roxanne said with a slight nod. "I don't think I've ever held a baby before actually. I didn't see most of my cousins until they could walk at least."

Teague hummed in agreement, his eyes thoughtful.

"I'm goin' to be a rubbish dad. I didn't have one. I have no idea what I'm doing."

"You were captaining a ship by the age of eighteen and you're worried about being a dad? You'll be fine. We'll be fine."
Roxanne smiled reassuringly, yawning.

He gently transferred Jack to the bed between them, joining her under the covers. Leaning over, he kissed her softly.
"Sleep my love. We'll be here when you wake."