Resurrection

"What the fuck do ye mean it'd be breaking the Code?! Who gives a shite?!"
Rowan's eyes flashed as she stood before her father, her head high and defiant despite the tears streaking her cheeks.

"It's necromancy. And necromancy is forbidden according to the Codex."
Edward Teague's voice was steady and resigned, fingers drumming absent-mindedly on the arm of his chair.

"Fuck the-"

"Take me advice and don't finish that sentence Rowan. I'm not arguing with ye about this. You're not breaking the Code and bringing her back from the dead. End of discussion."

For a long moment, Rowan stared at him, her eyes bright with tears and anger.
"She was your best friend. I thought you'd care more. But I guess your precious Code is more important."

Turning on her heel, she strode from the study, slamming the door behind herself.

She ran into Jack, who caught her wrist when she tried to continue on her way past him.
"What's wrong?" he asked bluntly.

"Apparently the fucking Code matters more to Dad than his best friend. I'm going to find Tia Dalma and convince her to raise Soracha the way she raised you."

Jack arched an eyebrow.
"You're goin' to find Calypso? Remember, she ain't Tia Dalma anymore. She's a goddess, no longer bound."

Rowan waved an airy hand.
"I'll handle her. She owes allegiance to the Brethren Court, so I'm sure I can work something out."

Her brother shook his head slightly.

"She won't owe anything to you. You're not a Pirate Lord. You weren't at the court where she was freed."

"No, but I'm the daughter of Edward Teague."

Understanding flickered in Jack's eyes.
"You're going to use the family name to make her help you. Clever Ro, well done."

"Well, seeing as someone is too busy upholding rules to do it, I'm going to have to do it myself. Do me a favour an' don't tell Mum. I'm goin' to get me ship and crew ready."

With that, Rowan turned and walked off, her dark waves rippling down her back, hiding the scabbards of her long knives.

Jack joined her aboard Rí ná hÉireann which she had anchored in a suitable location of deep, open sea.

Standing on the bowsprit, hair windblown and eyes alight with emotion, she looked almost otherworldly.

Summoning Calypso was surprisingly easy. She'd found the ritual in the Codex.

When the goddess did appear, walking on top of the waves towards them, she still looked as she had when bound to human form; dark-skinned, her hair a tangle of dreadlocks over her shoulders and a seductive, slightly superior smile upon her lips.

"Jack Sparrow."

"That'd be "Captain" Ja-"

"Not on my ship it wouldn't Jackie," Rowan muttered under her breath before addressing Calypso.

"Captain Rowan Teague, Edward Teague's daughter. I want you to bring somebody back from the dead," she said bluntly.

"Payment?" There was something playful in Calypso's raised eyebrow.

"You owe allegiance to the Brethren Court, as it was responsible for freeing you."

"They also imprisoned me in the first place."
The goddess shook her head, causing sudden, strong waves to rock the ship.
"I owe them nothing."

"Why did you raise Barbossa then?" Jack asked.

"He was one of the nine Lords. I needed him to free me. I do not need to raise anyone else."

Rowan scoffed in frustration. "Christ, yer a selfish so-and-so. Always working to your own ends I see."

"Shut up Rowan," Jack said harshly.

Calypso towered over them, beautiful and harsh and imposing. Her eyes burned, blazing like dark flames.
She lifted a hand, as if to strike them, then slowly lowered it again.

"The last one who spoke to me like that was your father."

Seeing their astonishment, she smiled.
"Oh yes, he was younger than you are now, with a woman at his side. His Pirate King."

"Mum," Jack muttered.

"What the hell did our father want with you?"

"That is between him and I. I imagine he advised you against necromancy?"

"Only because its against his precious bloody Pirate Codex," Rowan said in frustration.

"There's good reason for that."
Calypso's voice was heavy with some hidden meaning.
"Humans meddling with things they do not understand rarely ends well."

"Fuck that," Rowan snapped. "Are you going to fucking help us or not?"

The goddess clicked her tongue.
"Temper, temper, little Teague. I will help you, but I am doing it of my own free will, not due to the influence of the Brethren Court or anyone else."

With that, she turned and disappeared.

Several moments later, a vibrant green flash flared on the horizon.

A familiar figure jumped down from the Rí's stern, briefly illuminated by the green light before it died away.

Auburn hair fell in firey waves over her shoulders and her emerald eyes were fixed on Rowan.
"Disobeying orders is definitely in the Teague blood," she said in Gaelic, her Dublin accent heavy, smokey voice low and completely familiar.

Tears streaking her cheeks, Rowan darted forward to embrace her godmother.

Her head buried against the crook of Soracha's neck. There was a pulse beating under her skin. She was warm and solid and alive.
The scent of smoke and whiskey clung to her as locks of her hair fell over Rowan's bent head, flames against darkness.

************************************
"Fuck ye Edward."

Rowan had never seen her father look as shocked as the moment when he looked up to see Soracha standing with her hands on her hips in front of him.

"I expected years of friendship to matter more than that fuckin' Code," Soracha continued, a glint in her eyes, though it was difficult to tell whether it was amusement or anger.

Teague stood slowly, his wide eyes looking her over.

"How the-"

"I was only dead. Calypso brought me back."

"So Rowan did break the-"

"Oh, shut up!" Soracha cut across him in exasperation. "Stop being such a bloody prick and come and give me a hug. Or, if you're really not pleased to see me, shoot me and kill me again."

"Don't be daft."
Teague scoffed slightly, rolling his eyes.

He then stepped forward and wrapped her in a tight hug, trying to keep his tears back as he felt her in his arms, alive and able to return his embrace.

"You're an absolute, utter bloody prick," Soracha muttered, voice muffled against his chest.

His chuckle was deep and throaty, affectionate and familiar.

"I see dying hasn't changed ye in the slightest, which I'm very glad of."

Soracha grinned slightly.
"Nah, I'm still your best friend and now you're stuck with me again."

Teague grinned back.
"I wouldn't have it any other way."