Navigating Politics

The Black Pearl was, according to Barbossa, a few hours out from Shipwreck Island, and Elizabeth was trying, in vain, to track down one Jack Sparrow.

She located him eventually, in the crow's nest, a bottle in hand. His dark gaze narrowed as she plopped herself down beside him. "What d'you want?"

"To ask you questions, and to drink." She produced a bottle for herself from somewhere in her clothing and uncorked it, taking a swallow.

Jack's head tilted as he studied her. "Alright. Ask. I can't promise answers, but ask."

Elizabeth crossed her legs under herself, leaning back. "Sparrow," she said slowly, "is it really your last name?"

Taking a drink from his bottle, Jack rolled his eyes very slightly.
"Yes. It's me mum's last name, if you must know. No, I didn't give myself the name, it's not a nickname or anything like that-I've heard all those stories, but this is the truth. My mum kept her name as it was, and when I was being named, it had a safer association than my dad's surname, which is an old pirating name, so they named me Sparrow to try and keep me safer growing up. Jack Sparrow is genuinely, legally my full name."

"But aren't Sparrow's-"

"English aristocracy, yes. Next question."

After a second of thought, she asked, "Where are you from? Where'd you grow up?"

Jack glanced out at the horizon. "Nationality wise, half English, half Irish. Grew up at sea, in Ireland, in Madagascar and in Shipwreck Cove. Spent five years in England too."

"Sparrow!" Barbossa's call interrupted Elizabeth's next question, and she looked down at the deck to see the older man gesturing impatiently. "Devil's Throat."

"Aye, right. Keep your hat on, I'm coming." Jack called back irritably, starting his descent to deck. "Elizabeth, stay there. Your first sight of Shipwreck Cove is better from above, trust me."

She watched in amazement as the ship passed slowly through a narrow passage in rock, littered with the wrecks of ships, understanding now how the island got its name. As they approached a gently curved bay, she saw other ships docked, colours flying from every mast.

The Pearl dropped anchor next to a galleon that was even bigger than her, an emerald-green flag fluttering from it's main mast. Elizabeth looked at the other ships curiously, fingering the Piece of Eight in her pocket.

"Elizabeth. Time to go." Jack called, and she hurriedly joined him on deck, leaving the ship along with him and Barbossa.

She noticed a change in Jack's demeanour as she followed him through the maze of the city. He carried himself differently, a touch of arrogance in his swagger, head held just a little higher than usual. People in the narrow streets occasionally did a double-take as he passed, whispers following the three of them as they made their way to the building where the Pirate Lords gathered.

Barbossa and Jack had somehow already taken their places by the time she entered the meeting hall. One of the Lords was inquiring about Sao Feng, which Elizabeth took at her cue to enter. She added her sword to the globe. "Sao Feng is dead. He was killed by the Flying Dutchman. I am now Pirate Lord of the South China Sea."

"And who might you be, exactly?"

Standing at the head of the long table was a woman. Her brows were drawn in the beginning of a frown as she looked Elizabeth over slowly with a calculating hazel gaze. The candles illuminated features that seemed strangely familiar, although she knew they had never met.

Lifting her chin a little, Elizabeth stepped forwards to stand at the table.
"My name is Elizabeth Swann."

"Piece of Eight?"