Happy Anniversary

"Happy Anniversary."

Roxanne lifted her head off her husband's chest as he awoke.

"And happy birthday," she added, kissing his lips softly.

"Thank ye, and happy anniversary. I don't think another year has affected my performance, judging from your reactions last night."

"Not in the slightest."
She smirked, running a hand through her dishevelled hair.
"Are we still renewing our vows at sunset?"

"Aye, if you still want to."
Teague glanced at his wedding ring in a contemplating manner for a moment.

Roxanne nodded, her eyes soft.
"I would love to. It just seems fitting to do it when we reach the place we got married, after being married for this long."

He hummed in agreement, shifting the tangled bedsheets so they preserved his decency.

Her fingers lazily ran across his collarbone as she lay alongside him, quiet and content.

They enjoyed ten minutes of uninterrupted silence together before someone pounded on the cabin door.

"What the fuck d'ye want?"

"There's a Navy ship approaching, fairly rapidly," came the reply through the door.

"I'll be out in a minute!" Roxanne called irritably.
With a sigh, she extracted herself from the bed. "Your birthday present may have to wait, sorry."

"This is a pretty good present."
Teague grinned mischievously as his dark gaze swept over her nude body.

"Can you stop thinking about fucking me and start thinking about the Navy?"

Roxanne shook her head, but her voice was light with affection, a slight, teasing smile on her lips as she dressed.

"I can do both," he countered, still grinning as he rose from the bed and located a pair of drawers.

Dressed and armed, they stepped out onto deck together, standing shoulder to shoulder as they watched the Navy ship and gave their orders.

The Misty Lady was outgunned; boarding was the best option in this fight.

The British Navy officers swarmed the deck like red flies, pistols and swords drawn as the cannons continued to fire on both ships.

Teague settled into the dance of battle, calm and focused as he wielded both sword and pistol with easy efficiency.

Roxanne's sword flashed as she parried a blow which would have been fatal before driving her weapon under the man's ribcage, killing him swiftly.

The ship's deck was already slick with blood as Teague attempted to get closer to his wife, as he'd already spotted a new foe approaching her from behind. Calling out would be useless; she wouldn't hear him over the chaos of battle.

Parrying a rapier, he muttered a few colourful Gaelic curses under his breath while he cocked his pistol, despite knowing he couldn't get a clear shot.
His doctor was fighting another Officer between him and Roxanne, ruthless and deadly as she always was, her long knives glinting.

He couldn't risk shooting her, so he watched helplessly as a sword was slashed across his wife's side, bright scarlet blood soaking her shirt immediately.

She stiffened, hand dropping to the wound, but didn't cry out.

He watched her for a moment, sword and pistol idle in his hands as concern stilled the fire of battle in his blood, mingled with a flash of guilt that he hadn't done anything to protect her from the sword that had hurt her.