Family

Diana Sparrow glanced up, hearing the door open, followed by a familiar voice.

"Is there anybody livin' in this shithole?"

"Ro!" she said happily, getting up from the table to greet her aunt as she came into the kitchen.

Rowan grinned, ruffling her hair before hugging her tightly.
"Christ, you're gettin' big. An' I swear ye look more like a Teague every time I see you."

"Gran says that too. Dad thinks I look like a Sparrow. Mum agrees with him, but says I look like her too."

Hazel eyes narrowed, Rowan assessed her niece. "Nope. You're a Teague with a little bit of your mum and a little Sparrow. Sparrow facial features and hands. Long, slim fingers like Jackie and Mum. There's something about your jaw that reminds me of Dad and you're built more like me than your mum. Long legs and narrow hips an' shoulders."

Diana nodded, gesturing her into a chair and busying herself with the kettle and teapot.

Rowan sat down, removing her feathered hat to run her fingers through the black waves that cascaded down her back, rings flashing as the light hit them.

"Is my dad awake yet?" she asked, gratefully accepting a mug of tea.

"No. And based on what he and gran were doing last night, I think it'll be a while before he is."
Diana grinned mischievously as she poured herself tea.

Rowan shook her head, though a grin played on her lips.
"They couldn't keep quiet then," she muttered, still grinning.

"Nope."
Diana stirred a sugar cube into her tea before taking a sip.

Rowan stole her spoon, stirring sugar into her own tea too.
"Where's Jackie?" she asked after a moment, hands wrapped around her mug as she watched the steam rise from the hot beverage.

"He and Mum went for a walk. I think they'll be back soon," Diana replied.

Rowan nodded, taking a slow sip of tea.

"Well, well, look what the wind blew in. Another Teague to this nest of Sparrows."

"Speak of the Devil."
Rowan grinned as she stood up to hug her brother, who hugged her back before pouring himself tea and sitting down, facing her across the cluttered kitchen table.

"Where's your Mrs?" she asked.

"She stopped to talk to Sahara. Mum and Dad obviously aren't up yet then."

"Di tells me they were busy last night," Rowan said, a slight sparkle appearing in her eyes.

"Aye. You'd think they'd slow down in their aging years."

"Unlikely."

Jack settled back in his chair, legs outstretched.
"What're you doing here?"

"Visiting," his sister replied, playing with a ring on her finger.

Jack raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"That eyebrow raise makes you look exactly like Mum, just lettin' ye know. Yes, Jack, really. I came here to visit."

The door opened and a younger girl came hurrying in.
"Dad, Mum said to tell you she's having tea with Sahara and won't be back for a bit and-aunty Ro!"

Laughing, Rowan returned Skye's eager hug as her niece smiled widely, evidently happy and surprised by her sudden appearance.

"When did you get here?" Skye asked, settling herself in Rowan's lap.

"About ten minutes ago. Get off me knee, you're too big for that now."

"Don't care. Gran sits in granddad's lap."