The Worst

Well I said from the first, I am the worst kind of guy for you to be around.

A pirate, his reputation forever tarnished from murders and other crimes, starting from the age of just eighteen.

Tear me apart, including this old heart. Well it's true, I'll never, ever let you down.

He had already had a woman leave him over this fact. He didn't want to lose the woman who had overlooked it initially. He wasn't sure he could bear a second heartbreak, especially not from this English aristocrat who had stuck by him even after seeing his brand.

You shouldn't stick with me, you trust me too much, you see.

She wasn't fully aware of the dangers of the life she was getting herself into, still too attracted by the promise of adventure to worry about the grim realities of storms, battles and bad living conditions. She was following him, following the freedom his way of living offered, putting her trust in him to keep the unpleasant truths of the life away. But he couldn't protect her from everything.

Take all the pain, it's yours anyway. Get out, kid.

Now, seeing the fresh, red brand on her wrist, he wished more than anything he'd been able to change her mind. He wished he'd been able to spare her the pain and humiliation that the brand would bring. Wished he'd done something to change her mind about getting involved with him. Wished she'd gone back before she was in too deep to run.

Who put the blame on me? You won a pass, you'll see. Somewhere outside, I threw love aside. Now, it's a tragedy.

He'd sworn he wouldn't make the mistake of assuming he could ever be viewed as anything but a pirate again. Sworn he'd never open his heart enough to let anyone inside. He hadn't kept that promise; he'd let her in. Now, he was taking the blame for corrupting her, turning her to piracy.

I said from the first, I am the worst kind of guy for you to be around.

But, as she lifted her gaze, meeting his eyes before kissing him softly, he decided he would take the blame willingly. It was worth it. He loved her too much to regret the decision. Loving an aristocrat wasn't the worst thing he'd ever done.