Really Time

"Dad?"

A small hand crept tentatively under the covers to touch the lean body sleeping underneath.

"Dad, it really is time. Mum's waiting."

The hand crept further in, carefully giving a shoulder a gentle shake.

A twitch of muscle was an encouraging sign, and the shaking continued.

"Dad, come on."
Jack continued his efforts to rouse his deeply asleep father, keeping a wary eye on his arms and hands.

Eventually, dark eyes opened slowly, heavy-lidded against the sunlight filtering through the gap in the partially open curtains.

Teague lay still, frowning slightly as he looked up at his son.

"Time for what, boy?" he asked.

"The meeting. Mum's waiting in the Hall. Nothing can start without you," Jack said.

"Fuck." Teague swore roughly under his breath as he swung himself out of bed. "Where's me fuckin' pants?"

Jack giggled slightly while tossing a pair of drawers at his father.

Ten minutes later, dressed but dishevelled-looking, Teague settled himself in his seat on the balcony and idly ran his hand up the guitar strings to alert his wife to his arrival while deciding on what to play.

Legs outstretched, he considered the guitar for a moment and adjusted the tuning slightly.

His fingers then started to move of their own accord, strumming an Irish song that didn't require any great concentration to play.

Below in the hall, the meeting was well underway, and he made no attempt to figure out what was being discussed.

A yawn escaped his lips while he glanced at the Lords around the table.

It was surprisingly quiet, with no arguments going on currently, which Teague considered a blessing.

He sat watching his wife and idly playing the guitar, thoughts on better ways to pass the time than sitting where he was currently.

Eventually, his thoughts turned to his predecessor, the one who had occupied this seat before him, and taught him the duties that came with the title he now held.

Teague snorted at the memory of the old Code Keeper, who had been, in truth, a useless mentor and almost impossible to get on with.

His habit of rising at dawn had not suited his protégé's sleeping schedule, which rarely saw Teague in bed before two in the morning.

He'd been almost completely reclusive, with absolutely no interest in anything happening outside of Shipwreck Cove's fortress, and almost as little interest in mixing with other people living in the city of pirates.

Teague's gaze fell on the chest upon which his feet were propped. The chest, intricately decorated and inland with priceless gemstone contained possibly the most important thing to pirate society, but was also the perfect size for him to use as a footrest.

The Pirate King had never objected to him doing so, and he saw no reason not to. As long as he upheld the laws in the Codex, what did it matter if he put his feet on its box?

His eyes were drawn to the chest's lock, just below where his heels sat.
A large, solid silver skull identical to the ring which sat on his finger leered at him, the eye sockets forming the keyhole.

The ring, the token of his position, as the Pirate Lords had their Piece of Eight. The ring which had been passed down for as long as there had been Code Keepers. All the Articles in the Codex were sealed using the ring, a skull stamped in wax.

Well, almost all of them. A few, written in perfect, beautiful, distinctly feminine handwriting had a rough, unremarkable seal.

He adjusted the tuning of his guitar and continued to play, still without really concentrating on the music, thoughts occupied by wishing he'd lifted a bottle of whiskey on his way out of the bedroom.

His fingers paused on the strings briefly as he heard his wife's raised voice, but resumed when he figured out that she was handling the situation just fine by herself.

The meeting continued, and then ended, without him having to interfere at all.

The hall emptied, and Teague came down from the balcony, carrying his guitar.

"That was boring," he commented, greeting his wife with a kiss.

"It was quiet, which seems to happen once in a blue moon. You were late," she said, standing up.

"I was asleep, and I wasn't that late."

"Still, your King is going to punish you thoroughly."
Roxanne winked, eyes mischievous as she crossed to the door and locked it.

He grinned, kissing her neck.
"I very much look forward to it."

A/N
Inspired by Keith Richards, who used to be woken by his son, Marlon before shows in the late 70s.