Help Dodging the Noose

Rowan sat cross-legged on the filthy floor of her cell, glaring at the world beyond it's locked door from beneath the brim of her hat.

Her shackled hands rested in her lap, the rings on her long fingers glinting in the sunlight filtering through the cell door.
She sighed and rested her back against the wall, squinting at the sky and trying to guess the time from the position of the sun.

Past midday, maybe they weren't hanging her today.

She wished they'd hang her and be done with it. It was the third time she'd been sentenced to death at the end of a rope and she hated waiting for the public hanging to take place.

She had a new plan to escape the noose already figured out.

The cell door was unlocked and Rowan was pulled roughly to her feet.

A calloused hand wrapped around her wrist, an emerald ring flashing on the index finger.
"Keep your head down an' keep walking," a voice muttered.

Rowan's eyes widened as the voice's owner dragged her from the cell, tossing a ring of keys to someone before escorting her firmly out of the prison.

"Weapons," was her only mutter.

Her escorter winked and patted their hip as they steered her out through the prison doors.

Once they were away from the prison, he removed her shackles and she wrapped her arms around his waist.

He returned her hug.

"Thank ye."

"Don't mention it," he muttered airily, flicking her hat playfully.

"All in a day's work, love."
Gold teeth flashed as he grinned.

"Imagine what Mum an' Dad would do to me if they found out I'd let you be hanged without helping."

Rowan chuckled, checking her pockets to ensure she still had her pipe.

Dark eyes ran over her. "You alright?"

"Fine," replied Rowan, pushing a stray strand of dark hair out of her eyes.

"What'd they lock you up for?"

"The fact my last name's Teague and the brand on my wrist."

"Sparrow's a better last name."

Rowan laughed. "Keep tellin' yourself that Jackie."

"I will," he said in reply with a grin.

"Are ye here for a reason, dear brother?"

"Isn't saving your neck a good enough reason to be here?" Jack asked playfully, returning her weapons.

Rowan shook her head in reply, the trinkets tied in her hair jingling lightly.

Jack smiled mysteriously, a hint of gold appearing under his moustache. "Well for now, that's the reason you're gettin."

"Prat," Rowan muttered.

Her brother flicked her hat playfully again. "C'mon Ro. Let's go."

Rolling her eyes slightly, she followed him.

"How'd you know I was here?"

"Dad," Jack answered simply.

Rowan frowned. "How the blazes did he know I was here?"

Jack shrugged. "No idea."

"Where'd you see him?"

"In a tavern down the street yesterday evening. Haven't the faintest idea why he was here or how he knew you were in prison. The Troubadour's gone now so I assume he sailed last night."

"Was Mum with him?" Rowan asked.

"Not in the tavern, though I'm sure was on the ship," Jack replied.

He fiddled with a ring on his finger for a moment.

"Partin' ways or d'you want to sail with me?"

Rowan looked at him, her hazel eyes widening in playful horror.
"Sail on your ship? Where you'd be my captain and I'd have to listen to you? And obey your orders? God no Jackie, that'd be hell."

Jack cuffed her lightly over the head, knocking her hat to the ground.

"I'm regrettin' saving your neck now," he growled playfully.

Rowan stuck her tongue out at him as she retrieved her hat and dusted it off.

Jack rocked back on his heels slightly.
"So we're going our separate ways on separate ships?" he clarified.

She nodded.
"I'm heading home."

"Ireland, Madagascar or Shipwreck Cove?" Jack asked.

"Ireland. It'll always be home to me," Rowan replied.

"You're so like Dad," said Jack with a slight smile.

"I'm a Teague," she said simply, returning his smile.
"With a Sparrow temper."

"True," her brother agreed.

"Where are ye headed for?"

"Where ever the wind takes me," replied Jack with a shrug.
"Probably Tortuga."

"I daresay a few ladies are awaiting your return," said Rowan, grinning.

Jack nodded with a grin in return.

"Keep yourself out of trouble Ro, savvy?"

He opened his arms and Rowan stepped into them.

Jack, who stood slightly taller than her, rested his chin on her shoulder for a moment as his arms wrapped around her.

"I'll miss ye little Teague," he murmured. "But I have a feelin' we'll cross paths again soon."

He gently stepped away from the embrace after a moment.

"Take care of yourself Jackie," Rowan said. "I'll miss ye too."

They gave each other a two-fingered salute and a tip of the hat.

Then Jack sauntered away in his typical flamboyant fashion, humming something that sounded like "Hoist the Colours" under his breath.

Rowan smiled as she started to walk towards her ship.

Though her older brother drove her crazy, he was always there for her and she wouldn't have him any other way.