Pre-Battle Discussions

"Why her?" The accusatory question was snapped from the corridor behind Jack as he made his way out of the Pirate Hall towards the docks.

He didn't slow, didn't even turn his head to acknowledge the speaker. "She's our best shot at surviving whatever comes tomorrow. Besides, my history with her is significantly less complicated than most of the other people who were around that table, present company very much included."

Jack ducked out through a side door, blinking at the change in lighting as he emerged back outside. He turned to face Barbossa, who was scowling slightly in evident discontent at his reply.

"She sent you to the Locker, in case you're forgettin'. I'm surprised you threw in your lot with her."

"You mutinied, left me on an island to die and stole my ship, meaning you currently rank lower on my list of people I'd want as an ally in battle than the woman who fed me to Jones's beastie to save my crew from said beastie."

Barbossa raised an eyebrow. "And who was it who brought ye back from the Locker?"

Jack scoffed contemptuously. "Because you needed my Piece of Eight, not because you actually gave a damn about me personally."

He tucked his hands into his pockets, chin lifted slightly as he strolled into the streets heading back towards the docks. Footsteps informed him that he was being followed before his former First Mate spoke again.

"How many of em d'you reckon we'll have on our side tomorrow?"

"Probably not enough to make any difference." Jack exhaled. "It's a bold move from our new Pirate King. Not stupid, just bold. Beckett has an armada and the Flying fucking Dutchman. We have Calypso, assuming she actually helps us, and maybe three ships in the whole Court's possession that might pose any kind of threat to Jones's, if they even show up tomorrow."

Barbossa glanced sideways at him. "I thought the Pearl was the only one."

"The Pearl is the only one that can catch him. If he's showing up here for a battle, he won't need caught, he'll just need a ship or two that can match him with firepower. Assuming the Lords do come out in force tomorrow, we'll have that covered, though it's me he wants so I imagine he'll pursue the Pearl. Which means the other Lords will have to deal with the armada. Eight ships against Beckett's whole company. Not good chances."

"I'm countin' seven ships, Jack. If we're both on the Pearl, that leaves seven other Lords and their ships," said Barbossa, now walking alongside him.

"Yeah, you're leaving a member of the Court out in your count, one I very much hope joins us cause he's got a sixty-gunned galleon and I have those guns counted to match half of the Endeavour's, and a highly skilled crew that could help this battle in our favour."

"Who's that?"

"Me, I'm guessin' from that description."
The voice spoke lowly from behind them, making Barbossa turn sharply to see that another man had joined them. He came to stand at Jack's side, one brow raised inquiringly.

Jack nodded, glancing sideways at him. "Are you joining us?"

Captain Teague let out a long sigh, nodding slowly while taking a pipe out of his waistcoat and filling it before speaking again.

"Of course I'm joining you. I have plenty of reasons to want to blow the whole blasted EITC straight to Hell, as you mentioned you need my guns and my very skilled crew, and I'm not sitting by and letting pirates be wiped off the seas without putting up one heck of a fight. Plus, I have a very, very personal score to settle with the Company and I intend to do it tomorrow."

He lit his pipe and took a drag, pulling a bottle of wine out of his pocket, which he uncorked with his teeth and offered to Jack.

Jack took the bottle and drank before passing it back. "I see you're picking up bad habits from my godmother." He gestured to the pipe.

Teague shook his head. "Falling back on old bad habits. I smoked for years before I met your mum." He took a drink from the wine and sighed softly.
"Eight ships against an armada. I hope you know what you're doin' Jackie."

"I didn't decide this. Elizabeth did. So I hope for all our sakes that she knows what she's doing."

"The lass is clever. She'll have some kind of idea," Barbossa interjected, pulling threads out of his cuffs.

"I knew that when I cast my vote, Hector. Knew she was probably the only one capable of getting that outcome." Jack said, before smiling slightly as three dogs bounded towards them, tails wagging furiously as they all jumped up at Teague.

The Code Keeper laughed softly, passing the wine back to Jack as he scratched them each behind the ears, murmuring softly before straightening at the sound of footsteps.

Another man joined them, his gaze flickering over them all. "Captain Sparrow, good to see you." Beneath the formality, his voice was soft with affection, a stark contrast to his intimidating appearance. Barbossa eyed him uneasily, put off by his height and powerful physique despite the silver streaking his auburn hair and beard.

Jack clearly had no such reservations, as he went immediately to hug the newcomer, saying something to him in a language Barbossa didn't understand, before stepping back.

"Cormac O'Reilly, Quartermaster on the Troubadour. You're Hector Barbossa?"
For some reason, amusement coloured his tone at the last two words. The scruffy grey dog pricked it's ears up at Cormac's words.

Barbossa nodded, reluctantly shaking Cormac's outstretched hand. "I've heard a lot about you. It's nice to put a face to the name." Cormac continued before turning to Teague.

"So, what was the outcome of that?"

"A new Pirate King," Teague said heavily. "And a war with the EITC at dawn. Can you inform the crew and start the preparations?"

"Of course. Are you alright?" Cormac's gaze was soft as he set a hand lightly on the Code Keeper's shoulder.

Teague nodded shortly. "Fine. I'll see you back on the ship. Hector, you're also dismissed, go and do something useful for a change."

Barbossa opened his mouth, then closed it and walked away at Teague's pointed look.

Once they were alone, he turned to Jack.
"Nothin' stupid tomorrow, no heroics. I'm keeping Beckett from blowin' the Pearl to Hell, I won't know where you are all the time, so I'm asking you, please, don't do anythin' reckless. Get through this. Don't dare give Beckett the satisfaction of takin' you from me, he tried that before."

Jack nodded. "Nothing stupid, I promise."

For a minute, Teague was silent. Then he raised a weathered hand to cup Jack's cheek. Jack hugged him tightly. "See you after."

"See you after, Astóirín."