CHAPTER NINE, truth, justice & songs in our key

"It's weird not being at rehearsal

"It's weird not being at rehearsal." Ricky confessed. He and Ophelia were at Ophelia's house, halfway through watching the first Cars movie on Ophelia's laptop. They were in her bedroom, laying on her bed with Ophelia's laptop on the bed in front of them.

"Yeah, it is." Ophelia agrees. "Almost don't know what to do after school anymore now that we don't have rehearsal."

A comfortable silence filled the room, the only noise being the movie playing. Ophelia sits up straighter, looking at Ricky with a grin when she got an idea. Ricky looks at her, chuckling at her sudden excitement, and raises his eyebrows. "What? You got that look on your face when you get an idea."

"That's cause I do have an idea." Ophelia tells him. "How about we just do the show without Miss Jenn? I mean, it can't be that hard."

Ricky shakes his head. "Lia, we can't even take a picture without her." He quickly adds, "No offense."

Ophelia leans back against the pillow behind her, a sigh leaving her lips. "It's fine. You do have a point."

Ricky gets his phone out of his pocket when it buzzed and sits up straighter. "Big Red wants us to come over to his house. Some of the drama club members are there with him."

Ophelia furrows her eyebrows but nods. "Okay." She paused the movie and they got ready to leave. Ricky drove them to Big Red's house and when they got to Big Red's room in the basement, they saw that Kaden, Steph, and Rico were there.

"Hi, you guys." Ophelia greeted, waving at the three as she and Ricky walked down the steps. 

They waved back at her while Ricky takes a seat on one of the chairs. Ophelia sits on the floor beside the right side of the chair Ricky sat on. They each started conversing with each other when a few moments later the door opening can be heard which made them all share a confused look.

"It's open?" Big Red said, his voice laced with confusion.

Ashlyn walks down the steps a few seconds later, followed by Fallon and Luca. "Hey, guys." Ashlyn greeted.

"Okay, how many people are coming?" Ricky chuckled lightly.

"Uh, that should be it." Big Red responded.

"Actually, give it a minute." Ashlyn voiced.

Ophelia raises her eyebrows when she hears multiple footsteps and indistinct chatter above them. Soon Big Red's basement is filled with all the drama club members. "This is a terrible party." Natalie breaks the awkward silence. "There aren't even pretzels. What are we all doing here?"

"We all ended up in this same basement after a really bad day," Ashlyn replies. "So someone should say something."

"Fine." Carlos caves in. "I'll say something. I'm mad at Miss Jenn."

"Why?" Gina scoffs. "Because she's got a couple of skeletons in her closet?"

"No, because she's giving up." Carlos answers. "She was the first teacher to not see me as a punchline, and now she's not even a real teacher?"