CHAPTER SIXTEEN, opening night of hsm part two

Before anyone knew it, it was time for the 'Getcha Head In The Game' scene

Before anyone knew it, it was time for the 'Getcha Head In The Game' scene. It started out great and Ophelia was so proud of her friends for continuing to do so good. But when it got to the part where Ricky was up in the harness and was about to shoot the basketball he held, he froze. Ophelia furrowed her eyebrows, concern filling her as she looked in the direction he was looking at. Her eyes widened when she saw a man sitting beside Ricky's mom, Lynne, and after seeing him kiss Ricky's mom cheek, she realized that man must be her new boyfriend.

Ophelia's heart ached with sadness for him. Ricky was clearly upset over the divorce, but Lynne was insensitive enough to bring her new boyfriend to see most likely meet him at his play. What aggravated her even more was the fact that Lynne had most likely not informed Ricky that her new boyfriend was coming to the play.

The music resumed after Ricky stammered out the next lyric, and he was lowered back to the ground while everyone continued the song. Ricky did his best to keep singing as some of the dancers unhooked him from the harness, but Ophelia could tell he wasn't upset. Ricky attempted to do the same dance like the others, but he messed up and accidentally kicked the basketball into the audience. When he ran off just before the end of the song, and Ophelia exchanged a troubled look with Big Red.

Big Red then announced that now is a time for a ten minute intermission and that there was ten minutes until Act Two. When Ophelia got a text from Ricky saying that he needed her out in the hall, she didn't hesitate to head out to the hallway. Ophelia went out to the hallway to find Ricky dressed in his normal clothes. She frowns when she saw him standing there with an upset expression on his face. "Rick." She spoke softly to get his attention and when he looked at her with teary eyes she felt her heart break. She hated seeing him cry.

She walks over to him, growing more concern for the curly-haired boy when she sees that Ricky is shaky. "Ricky, you're shaking." She stood close enough to him so she can wrap her arms around him in a hug and she found out how tense he was when she hugged him. He didn't take any time to wrap her arms back around him, resting his head in the crook of her neck as he held onto her tightly as if he was afraid she would disappear. 

"I can't believe she would bring him." Ricky mutters, his voice laced with anger. "It doesn't make any sense why she would bring him."

"I know it doesn't, and she's wrong to bring him here without even asking you." Ophelia said, now rubbing his back in an attempt to comfort him. It seemed to work because she could feel him relaxing. 

Ricky sighs heavily. "Why can't parents just stay together?"

"I don't know, Rick."  Ophelia responds. She wished she had a better answer to give him to make him feel better. "But I understand what you're going through. Having divorce parents suck and there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to hope that things will work out for the best." She sighed and rested her head in the crook of his neck, holding onto him tighter.