CHAPTER EIGHT, let it go

The campers gathered in the boy's cabin to surprise Ricky, who was still sleeping

The campers gathered in the boy's cabin to surprise Ricky, who was still sleeping. "Okay, I'm gonna count to three." Carlos quietly said.

"On three or after three?" Kourtney inquired.

"Are we really doing this again?" Fallon whined.

"Right?" Carlos agrees. "Not this again."

"Happy birthday!" Maddox suddenly shouted and everyone followed along with her.

Ricky screams as he jolts up, wide awake. He laid back down, trying to calm his fast beating heart and relax after realizing it was just the others. "And happy opening night, to those keeping score." EJ adds with a smile. "Our show might be in danger, but right now our focus is Ricky."

Ricky chuckles. "Guys, you shouldn't have. For real, you almost gave me heart attack.

"You're an old man now?" Jet retorted.

"But wait. There's more." Carlos spoke up.

Ashlyn looks confused. "There is?"

"What is he talking about?" Ophelia asked in confusion.

"Come on in. Your best friend is old enough to vote." Carlos smiled.

Then suddenly the door opens and Big Red walks in, holding a cake. "Please tell me these bunks are air conditioned."

Ophelia gasps, smiling at the red-haired boy. "Big Red, you're here!"

"Biggie?" Ashlyn's eyes lit up, smiling at her boyfriend.

"Of course you showed up." Ricky grins, walking over to him to hug him.

"We've spent every birthday together since pre-school." Big Red smiles and Ophelia clears her throat. "Along with Ophelia." He adds quickly, earning a smile from her and a chuckle from Ricky.

"Yeah. And of course you brought a lotto ticket." Ricky smiled.

"Brought a what now?" Big Red furrowed his eyebrows.

"A lotto ticket? It's the last thing on my bucket list." Ricky points out. "That's why you're here, right?"

"You walked on the moon?" Big Red tilted his head to the side in confusion.

"He actually did it all summer. I'm Jet." Jet introduces. "Who are you?"

"That's Big Red." Ophelia replies. "He has been mine and Ricky's best friend for, like, ever."

"I thought your best friend was Fallon." Jet said in confusion.

Ophelia shrugs. "She is. You can have more than one best friend."

"I am also Ashlyn's boyfriend." Big Red added, setting down the cake. Ashlyn smiled, hugging him.

"Our friend first." Ricky chimed in, gesturing to himself and Ophelia.