Overstepping

A/N: I'm glad milestone won. 😈

+++

"So, I hear you're moving and you won't even tell your own mother your new address?" Veronica asked Eva. The two of them had met for a Sunday brunch and were waiting on Alexis, who normally acted as a cushion between them, but she was running late. "Do you really want me out of your life that much?"

"I don't want you out of my life, mother," Eva replied. "But considering you're the reason I have to move in the first place, it only makes sense for me to not give you my new address."

After Eric showed up at her apartment unannounced last week, Eva started by looking a new security systems before deciding to move altogether. Something about the energy she was sensing from Eric made her so uneasy that she was losing sleep and Eva figured it'd be best to move across town and not tell her mother her new address.

"You don't think you're overreacting? It was one time only a week ago, and Eric popped in on you at my request."

"Right, but before that, he'd been sending me roses and letters nonstop despite the fact that I was ignoring him and then he went on to show up at my apartment begging for me to go back to him. I wasn't getting a good vibe, I felt unsafe, and you put me in a really tough position."

Veronica sighed and took a sip of her mimosa. "He's harmless, Eva. He is just a man in love who desperately wants you back."

"Mother, Eric and I will never be together again. I don't love him and I never did. I'm not sure what's been going on with you, but this obsession with marrying me off needs to stop. Can't you see that's what's been pulling you and I apart?"

"I just want you to be happy," Veronica reasoned. "I want you to meet a good man to take care of you. Do you know how nice it is to have a person to go to sleep with and wake up to? And then the joy of having children! Don't you want kids?"

Eva's jaw tensed and she huffed her frustration. "I don't care about getting married and I absolutely never want to have kids. If I meet a man or woman who I want to be with for the rest of my life, great, but I refuse to give up my solitude for someone who isn't worth it."

Veronica was taken aback, astonished by her daughter's words. "What do you mean you don't want kids?! And you never want to get married?"

"Exactly what I said. I don't want kids, ever. And marriage isn't a priority for me, there are so many other things in life."

Veronica shook her head with disapproval. "I just don't understand."

"All due respect, mother... It's not for you to understand."

"Eva, you are imposs—"

"Could you two please not argue!" Alexis pleaded as she walked up to their table. "You know there was a point in our lives when you got along, right? In fact, for most of our lives, you two were close... What happened?"

"That is the question..." Eva said, leaning back in her seat and looking away from her mother.

"Eva just needs to do more thinking about her future," Veronica grumbled.

"Whatever."

~~~~~~~&&&~~~~~~~

It was late evening on Monday and Eva was in a horrible mood. Not only was she still agitated about her Sunday brunch with her mother and Alexis, Eva was also stressed about moving to another part of the city and the recent slowing of her progress in collecting intel on PMC Group. Despite the fact that the men were trusting her more, Eva still couldn't seem to gather anything strong enough to take them down and keep them from pursuing revenge against Thompson Luxe Group.