Just a Friend

The Countdown: Six Weeks Until Eva's Deadline

37 Days Left

After finishing his hike, Adrian made his way back to the rental car he used to leave the city. It was exactly what he needed to clear his mind. The past few weeks had brought him more stress than he'd experienced in his life.

The meeting with Alexis confirming hostility from PMC Group's number one competitor and the subsequent finding that the company had been hacked.

PMC Group's General Counsel, Asha, warning them of all their liabilities, including how high their risk was for potential lawsuits.

Finally, there was Eva — Adrian wanted to know who wrecked her apartment and whether she still might be in danger. He was also worried about his ongoing feelings for her and the fact that Justin, and even Caleb, were showing signs they might have them as well.

"That hike was exactly what I needed," Adrian said to himself before throwing his backpack in the backseat of the car and getting in the front. He reached into the console and pulled out his phone to look at his notifications. They mostly consisted of emails and a few texts from friends and family, but his eyes honed in on the notification with Eva's name on it.

Eva: In bed with cramps. Need meds.

Looking at the time, he saw that it was ten in the morning and that the text came in around nine. Justin is probably sleeping in and no way Caleb is helping out without the promise of sex, he thought to himself.

Adrian: I just finished my hike. I'll pick up some Midol on the way home. Do you need pads or tampons too? What kind do you prefer?

***

Walking through the convenience store with a basket in hand holding the medicine for Eva's cramps, Adrian pulled his phone out of his pocket to check it again, hoping she'd responded to him. He sighed as he looked at the shelves of pads and tampons, trying to figure out what to get for her.

I don't even know if she needs them. Maybe she's not responding because she fell asleep. Which of these boxes looks familiar...

As he scanned over the products, Adrian was stumped. There were tons of options and he had no clue if Eva preferred pads or tampons, which brand she liked, what level of absorbency she needed.

Finally, Adrian went to his contacts and called his mother. The phone didn't trill long until she picked up.

"Adrian?" she answered. "What's going on? We just talked last night, though I know you were exhausted. Did something happen?"

"No. I'm fine. Just went on a hike this morning to clear my mind. Hey, what kind of pads did you prefer when you use to get your period?"

Giggling from the other line, his mother replied, "Your sister is probably the best person to ask here. Or maybe you should talk to the woman that you're getting them for?"

"I didn't want to bother Emily with this. I know she's studying for the MCATs."

"She has been irritable with the stress lately, but I'm sure she'd be fine with a question that'll take less than a minute for her to answer... So, this woman you're getting them for. It's getting serious between you two? When am I going to get to meet her?"

"No, no... it's not like that, mom. I'm just helping out a friend."

Again, his mother could be heard giggling from the other side of the phone. "A 'friend' you say? Is this the same 'friend' you asked me fore advice on apologizing to a few months ago?"