Tea Time

A/N: This ended up being a longer chapter than expected, but it just started writing itself at one point and then I got SO EXCITED to post it. Hope y'all enjoy!

+++

"I'm not home, Mr. Peterson."

Eva snickered, looking at Caleb on the screen with a frown on his face and his hands stuffed in his pockets. He leaned in toward the intercom and whispered sharply. "Don't lie to me. I know you're in there. Now, let me up."

"But Mr. Peterson, I can answer you from anywhere using this app. And I'm away at the moment." It was clear in her very performative tone that Eva was playing games with him.

"You expect me to believe that fake ass voice? Let me up there now."

Eva didn't respond and simply looked at him through the camera. She wanted to see if he would try again or leave.

"Did you hear me?" Caleb said impatiently. "Let me up there now."

"Even if I were home, Mr. Peterson, why would I let you into my apartment?"

"Because I'm your boss and I have something important to discuss with you."

"That can't be done over phone or email? I prefer written correspondence if it's something work-related."

Eva could tell that he was getting increasingly frustrated as he couldn't seem to stand still while waiting at the door and she was only further entertained.

"Eva, just let me—"

"The fuck are you doing here?!" a familiar voice interrupted Caleb. Eva watched through the camera and an even bigger smirk came to her face when she saw Adrian approaching.

Caleb straightened up and turned to him.

"I'm here to tell the assistant that she needs to bring her ass in for work or else we're firing her."

"Why is that you always chose to be a douche bag?" Adrian questioned. "Nine out of ten options will be ones of decent people and you're always the jerk."

Caleb didn't show it, but he was offended by Adrian's implication that he wasn't a decent person. "Whatever, I'm not being an asshole. The asshole move would be to fire her without notice... And besides, the fuck are you doing here? Is that food? Trust me, I don't think eating will do her any g—"

"Shut the fuck up," Adrian snapped. "She's sick and I brought her some soup."

As the men went back and forth, Eva studied their body language. She'd only really seen the two in work interactions, but with them being in an informal setting and having a heated discussion, she noticed things she hadn't seen before. Caleb's shoulders seemed somewhat hunched, while Adrian's chest was more pronounced as if asserting himself. She saw the way Caleb for once seemed to falter in his often arrogant stance and now she was intrigued.

"Hello, Adrian," she said, interrupting their exchange. She couldn't see it through the camera, but Caleb's nostrils flared when he heard how she was immediately so friendly with Adrian.

"Hi, Eva. I'm sorry that you had to hear all this. I came to check on you. Are you home?"

"Yes, you can come up."

"What the fuck?!" Caleb blurted. "You kept saying you weren't home."

Eva ignored Caleb and clicked the button to open the door downstairs. She had on an oversized tee-shirt and athletic shorts that she'd put on when Justin came over before, but she went to her room to quickly change into shorter shorts and remove her panties. The tee-shirt she switched into was still oversized, but not long enough to cover her shorts.