The Couch

The Countdown: Six Weeks Until Eva's Deadline

39 Days Left

"So, we're supposed to get that digital forensics report at some point next week," Caleb said. "Then, we'll know how Thompson Luxe hacked us."

Sitting in the back of the Uber on their way home, Caleb and Adrian's conversation was all business. After they met with Alexis the week before and she hinted at knowing their schedules, Caleb ordered every company-owned electronic be confiscated, investigated, and ultimately destroyed for good measure.

"I can't believe we incurred such a big, unexpected cost," Adrian groaned. "Ordering all new tech for our staff had me and my entire team putting in serious work those few days after the meeting."

"That's your job, Mr. CTO. We're just lucky that our... friends were willing to cover the cost. If we go down, it'll hurt them too."

"I don't think it would hurt them that bad."

"It's enough for them to throw us five-hundred grand," Caleb countered.

"I don't think it's that much for them."

"Probably not, but at least we didn't need to use our own budget. I can't believe a competitor hacked us like that. Thompson Luxe at that!"

Adrian turned to Caleb, who was looking out the window. "You seem so sure of it. What if she's just been having us followed or something? Or what if she's been following us herself? Something about her felt oddly familiar, but I'm not sure why."

"No way," Caleb disagreed. "I'm not dumb enough to get followed around like that."

"Okay."

"What's with that fucking tone?"

Adrian sighed and turned his attention outside the window on his side of the car. "I just said 'okay,' Caleb. There's no need to get defensive."

"You had a tone like you disagreed. Do you think I'm dumb?"

"No, I don't think you're dumb. It's just that smart people can get followed without noticing, too. It happens all the time.."

"Well I'm too smart for that."

Shaking his head, Adrian couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him.

Caleb narrowed his eyes at him. "And what the hell is so funny?"

"C'mon, Caleb. You don't think this exchange sounds ridiculous right now? It's like you're trying to find offense in everything I say. Like you want an argument."

"You calling me ridiculous?" Caleb questioned. "You think I'm being combative like you're not patronizing me?"

"I'm not."

"Humph." Caleb crossed his harms. "Whatever. I know you're the passive aggressive type."

"Caleb, are you serious? Over this—" Adrian paused. "Oh... you're in a mood right now. I get it."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"You're frustrated, aren't you? That's why you're catching such an attitude with me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You sure? Because I know exactly what this attitude is. I'm all too familiar with it, Caleb."

"And what exactly do you think this attitude is?"

Adrian slid closer to Caleb so he could lower his voice just enough for Caleb to hear. "... Something you want fucked out of you."