Soft

The Countdown: Five Weeks Until Eva's Deadline

37 Days Left

Eva groaned against Caleb's back as she awoke from her nap. It was afternoon and he was still sleeping soundly. She gently pulled her arm from around his waist and rolled to get out of bed on the other side, not wanting to disturb him.

While Eva's cramps had subsided between the medication and heating pad, she still experienced fatigue and felt gross from her cycle. She dragged herself into the bathroom to take a long, hot shower.

Standing under the water as she cleaned herself, Eva couldn't take her mind off the exchange she had with Caleb earlier that morning.

I should've known a sweet guy like Adrian could break hearts. He really fucked Caleb up. And the compartmentalization thing is weird — definitely not healthy. Caleb still won't tell me the story of what happened proactively, but I wonder if I ask him. I could always ask Adrian too, but I'm sure they have two different versions. Fuck! Why am I worried, anyway? I shouldn't care about whatever's going on with them. I'll be out of their lives after ruining them in a few weeks, anyway.

Get it together, Eva.

For the rest of her shower, she tried her best to push those thoughts out of her head, constantly reminding herself that she shouldn't give in to them.

After Eva finished her shower, she put on a fresh set of clothes with sweatpants and a loose teeshirt. Leaving the bathroom, she came out to see Caleb was still sleeping in her bed, though now he was sprawled out on his back, his lips slightly parted with slow breaths as one hand rested on his torso, rising and falling with his inhales and exhales. He appeared peaceful, more peaceful than Eva had ever seen him. Looking at him in that moment, no one ever would've guessed that Caleb was the rude, vulgar, inconsiderate, and superficial man he often presented himself to be. In that moment, he looked... sweet. When Eva felt a fluttering in her stomach at the sight, she brought herself back to reality.

No, Eva thought to herself when she realized just how much she was softening for him. He's fun to play with and that's it. He's still a fucking fatphobe who tried his best to torment me from day one. And I'm here to take down his company. He doesn't deserve this annoying fucking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Just because he's been a bit nicer the past few weeks, it doesn't undo all the shit he did before. Even if he was a dick because he was heartbroken, that's no excuse for the way he treated me. And why the fuck did I let him sleep in my bed in the first place? He should only be allowed in it when we're fucking. I should kick him out.

Frustrated with herself and reminded of why she disliked Caleb, Eva approached the bed with a frown on her face and the goal to shake him until he woke up and tell him to get out of her room. Once she was within arm's reach, Eva grabbed Caleb's shoulder and shook him.

"Wake up, nap is over," she said sternly.

Eva watched as Caleb's eyes slowly opened and when they connected with hers, a small smile came to his face.

"Hey." The sleepiness was still clear in his gentle voice and the softness of his gaze. "I haven't had a nap like that in forever."

Eva's nostrils flared, further upset with herself because she was hesitating. I woke him up to tell him to get the fuck out of my room and now I'm hesitating? I'm blaming my hormones for this shit. I'm just sensitive right now.

Unable to say what she planned to and unsure what to say in that moment, Eva chose silence and simply started walking toward the door of the bedroom.

"Eva?" Caleb called out to her. "Is everything okay?"