Down BAD

Eva and Caleb arrived to Atlanta late Sunday night, with the conference set to begin Monday morning. It would be a busy week for the participants, with networking events, roundtable discussions, fireside chats, and plenty of mixers.

Despite what Caleb told Eva, Justin, and Adrian, he didn't need her there. It was the job of PMC Group's communications department (public relations) to handle all of Caleb's engagements. But he wanted to take advantage of the conference to have Eva for himself without Adrian or Justin interrupting. Because Caleb would be occupied with conference events, Eva was set to have most days to herself, but he planned to keep her busy every night of their trip.

Walking into the conference center on day one of the summit, Caleb, Eva, and two people from the PR team went to the front counter to collect their credentials. As they approached, they saw two familiar figures and Caleb clutched his hand into a fist.

"What the fuck are you two doing here?!" he blurted when they reached Adrian and Justin.

"Mr. Collins and Mr. Matsuda," one of the PR assistants said. "We didn't have you down for going to this conference, otherwise, we would've bought more people from the team to support you. Which events are you planning to—"

"Don't worry, Kayla," Adrian assured, a kind smile on his face. "We're only here for some networking opportunities and to see some events. We don't plan on doing any panels, interviews, or press at all."

"Adrian is right. And just a little secret between us, it gives us an excuse for a bit of a vacation," Justin added with a wink. "Plus, we can support our wonderful CEO at the events he plans to speak at."

Caleb scoffed and shook his head. "Convient for you, isn't it?" He'd already done the math in his head. There'd be plenty of time during the trip for Adrian or Justin to be alone with Eva without the probing eyes of their colleagues or the demands of the office. Meanwhile, Caleb would be in events he'd committed to most days and therefore unable to interrupt their time with Eva.

Eva looked at the three expressionless, though her thoughts were in total contrast. She was still hurt about what Adrian said to her, she was impressed at Justin's ongoing forwardness, and she was entertained at Caleb's reaction to the two men showing up.

Passing by the three as if they weren't there, Eva continued to the counter to receive her credentials before turning around to go right back out of the door.

"Wait, where are you going?" Adrian questioned and Eva ignored him.

"Eva, wait!" Justin called and she stopped to turn her attention to him.

"Yes, Mr. Matsuda?"

"I thought you'd be attending conference events?"

"Kind of," Eva replied with a shrug. "Mr. Peterson is going to be busy with events and I'm mostly here on email duty and to help with smaller meetings here and there. Other than that the PR team will support him and he said that I'm free to do what during the day. And right now, I want to go back to my room and take a nap."

Adrian felt a pain in his chest at the way Eva had blown him off, but answered Justin immediately after.

"Eva," Adrian reached out his hand toward her wrist and she pulled it to her side before he could connect. "May I take you get coffee?"

Again, ignoring Adrian, Eva kept her attention on Justin.

"Even though I thought it was only Mr. Peterson who I'd have to deal with, I am still technically here on assistant duties. Was there something you needed, Mr. Matsuda? If not, like I said, I am going to take a nap."