Not a Clue

The Countdown: Five Weeks Until Eva's Deadline

32 Days Left

"What do you mean the hack originated from your computer?" Adrian asked Caleb. "Were you watching porn or something?"

"Fuck no! I never click the links and I always exit the pop-ups! And you already know what sites I use. They're safe."

Adrian closed his eyes and gripped the bridge of his nose. "I'm going to act like you didn't just admit to watching porn on PMC Group-owned devices... So, how do you think the virus got on your computer?"

"I don't know! The report said they couldn't determine the exact method for hacking my computer, but it could've either been through a thumb drive or an email where I clicked a malicious link."

"Okay, what about timing? Do they know when it could've happened?"

"Yeah, it was four months ago when the attack started, but they also mentioned something called dwell time where a virus can just sit dormant in a system. So, it's possible the shit could've been installed before that!" Caleb groaned and dragged a hand down his face. Either way, we have a rat because I highly doubt that the uppity ass CEO of Thompson Luxe pulled some spy shit herself and somehow snuck in here. There's probably a mole."

"Fuck..." Adrian's jaw tensed as he clenched his teeth. "Who do you think it could be?"

"I don't fucking know. It could be anyone."

"Well, we can at least narrow it down to people who've been in your office over the past four months."

"You, Eva, and Justin are in here all the time, so it could be one of you. Other than that, four months ago, the shit was like a revolving door of other assistants and random hookups."

"Jesus, you are a huge liability. Have you never heard the phrase 'don't shit where you eat'?"

"Rules like that don't apply to guys like me. Most of the top CEOs are fucking at least two employees. Hell, my dad was fucking a few. I grew up an only child but who knows if that's actually the case."

"Clearly they do considering it's probably why we got hacked. We should talk to Justin and Eva about it too. They might have some ideas about who it could be. In the meantime, try to make a list of any of the... guests you had in your office."

"I'll try to remember them all," Caleb replied sarcastically.

***

Eva and Justin drove back to the city in silence. She was deeply upset that he took her to a meeting with the mafia without telling her beforehand. She also had her guesses about their interest in launching a luxury plus-size clothing brand and she spent the ride hoping that she was wrong.

By the time they parked in front of PMC Group's offices, Eva quickly got out of the car and pulled out her phone. Outside of her obvious frustration with him, Justin couldn't figure out exactly what mood Eva was in, in that moment.

"Hey, Eva... We should go upstairs and talk about that meeting. About what it means."

Eva scoffed as she continued typing on her phone. "A little too late for that. We should've had this talk before you took me to that meeting."

"C'mon. We'll explain everything. I want to make sure all of us discuss it."

"No," Eva said curtly.

"What?"

"I need a few hours to myself, so I just booked a last minute appointment for my favorite spa and you guys are gonna foot the bill, including the bribe I had to pay to get in with them last minute. Besides, it looks like you guys are used to that sort of thing."