exile

"I think I've seen this film before, and I didn't like the ending."

- Taylor Swift, Bon Iver (exile, 2020)
________

Y/N's POV

It felt like eternity when the ambulance finally arrived. Lizzie was unresponsive as she was rushed in the back of the vehicle. I held her hand tightly, and hoped with every bone in my body that she would make it out of this alive. I couldn't make out what the paramedics were saying, questions they were asking me that I can't seem to answer. All I could hear was the worrying, weak, and faint sound of her heart monitor. Seeing her in such a fragile state, shattered me in ways I didn't think possible.

When the ambulance came to a stop, everyone came in a hurry to wheel her inside of the building, where were met by at least a couple of trauma doctors asking what happened. I paid them no attention as my gaze remained on Lizzie's unconscious body as we entered the hallway frantically. With my vision glossed over from the tears that doesn't seem like it wants to stop from pouring, I repeatedly prayed internally, enough to where it would buy me some time to make myself feel better.

It was a long shot, but I was hoping to get some sort of response, maybe a sign from her that she'll be okay, and that this won't be the last time I'll see her. But, the seconds I spent with the medical team wheeling her inside the hallway, I received nothing. No response. It was almost like there's no life left in her. She's merely a body without a soul. And that was a dagger in the heart.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but you'll have to wait out here." One of the nurses told me as she stopped me from going inside of the ICU alongside the doctors.

Before I even had time to react, I watched them disappear behind the door as it slammed shut. I stood there, feeling empty. Lifeless. Like, I have no purpose. Maybe, I'm right. Maybe, I don't have any purpose anymore. If something were to happen to her, I don't know what I would do. This can't be how our story ends. I won't let it.

I sat on the ground with my knees pushed against my chest as tears poured out of my eyes like there's no tomorrow. It feels as though, with every drop, it takes every bit of energy I could muster to let it all out, rendering me exhausted. But, that's all I could. Cry. Play the blame game. It is nothing new that I have yet again faced another heart shattering predicament because that is all what the world knows to throw at me. I could never be happy and that's a fact.

My gaze followed Lizzie's blood that dried over time. I never knew how much she lost until I sat there, my eyes completely glossed over, but enough to where I'm easily reminded of what happened not too long ago. The memory recalled to me like wildfire, and it flooded my mind like high tides that didn't seem to want to calm down. I wish I could forget it all. I couldn't bear remembering seeing her body aggressively colliding with the car, and how lifeless she looked after.

I've lost track of time. I don't know if it's only been fifteen minutes or hours since she was rushed inside, but to me everything felt like eternity. I've cried my heart out and it doesn't seem like there's going to be a stopping point for me. It stings, and with every breath that I take, it brings unexplainable emotions that keep gnawing at me from the inside.

"Y/N... What happened?"

I looked over to my right, and saw MK approaching me carefully. The fear in her eyes as she stood before me, brought me to my limit. Without even realizing it, I started to cry again, but this time it felt different. I felt guilty. It took a moment to pull myself together before I told her what happened.

It was a story I would never have any sort of pleasure telling. I could barely tell her what happened coherently without breaking down into pieces. But, when I did, the horror in her eyes as tears began to escape her eyes became unbearable for me to handle. I was trembling uncontrollably as my gaze remained fixated on the blood that covered almost the entirety of my hands.