Heart Like Yours

"How could a heart like yours ever love a heart like mine?"

- Williamette Stone (Heart Like Yours, 2014)

_______

Y/N's POV

A few days have passed since the new year has started. Work already started, and a lot of potential clients piled up. We're now looking into taking six sessions per day starting next week. It's obvious that we have a lot of work to do, which is why we extended for about a few more days until we go back to reality. After the New Years, I've been keeping my distance from her. She has texted me more than a couple of times asking about my wellbeing, but I've been dry. As much as I want to run back into her arms, it wouldn't be fair. I have to know my self-worth. If she wants me, she's going to have to try a little harder.

I like to think that I've been through a lot over the years. There's not a single doubt in my mind that she's the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. Even after all the pain and suffering, I still envision a future with her where we're both happy. But, I would be lying to myself if I said I wasn't mentally exhausted. It seems as though, there's always a wedge between us every time we form some sort of happiness. It's never ending. I don't want her to be the right person, wrong time.

"Damn, am I that boring that you're spacing out this much?" MK cleared her throat with a laugh. "Is everything alright with you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I just have a couple of things in my head."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No need to, it's nothing serious." I sighed, taking another bite of my chicken and waffles.

"That's a lie, but I'm not going to pry. You can tell me whenever you're ready." She flashed me a smile. "But, anyway, what're your plans for today?"

"I'll be at Tristan's poetry night helping out with the live performances."

"Oh, that's cool." MK took a sip of her drink. "Can I stop by and keep you company?"

"Of course. I'll text you the address later today."

"Great, it's a date!" She laughs.

"What do you call this?"

"What do you mean?"

I leaned forward toward her direction, and to a whisper, I said, "I mean, aren't we on a date right now?" I smirked as I licked my lips.

MK's eyes widened at my sudden flirtatiousness, causing her to blush a little. Liking the reaction I'm getting, I tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, not taking my eyes off of her.

A smile slowly formed on my lips, "Or, should we take this somewhere else?"

"I, uh..." She stuttered, finding it hard to form a coherent sentence.

I eventually backed away, "It's nice to see that I still have that effect on you." I chuckled, leaning comfortably against my chair.

MK rolled her eyes, "I hate you. It's a little early for you to be flirting."

I scoffed, "What? It's never too early to be flirting. And plus, I just wanted to see if I still have some effect on you."