I Won't Give Up

"Well, I won't give up on us. Even if the skies get rough. I'm giving you all my love. I'm still looking up."

- Jason Mraz (I Won't Give Up, 2012)

___________

Y/N's POV

Lizzie looked at me the way we do stars. I can't remember the last time she looked at me this way. It feels as though it's been so long. All the happiness and pure connection were replaced by sadness and heartbreak. I've got to know them on a deeper level because it's what I've felt for so long. But, as she was singing her heart out without ever taking her eyes off of me, it was almost as if all the pain I've ever felt slowly dissipated into thin air like it never existed.

I didn't know what to feel. I'm just as confused as before. After everything that ever happened between us, and the things she said, how could she go all the way over here and look at me the way that she did? Like I'm her entire world. Is this one of her mood swings? Where she feels something for me one day, and then the next she'll come crawling back to Robbie like everything we've ever had never mattered?

We lost sight of each other after her performance. I was needed somewhere, and when I finished, I couldn't find her anywhere. Maybe, this is for the best. I'm obviously feeling a lot at the moment, and I need to sort them out before it could get confusing for me. And so, I kept myself busy. I stayed backstage and kept the sound in check while the rest of my team were up front.

The rest of the set dragged for about two hours until it was done. Eventually, everyone started to leave, and since there's not much packing up to do, I let my team go since I didn't need them. Other than Tristan inside of his office, I'm left alone packing up the rest of the equipment, making sure everything is inventoried to be locked up.

"Need a hand?"

A familiar voice made me stop everything I was doing. I turned around and saw Lizzie standing a few feet from me. Slowly but surely, she approached me with care, afraid that she might be pushing a boundary. Suddenly, it was like I didn't know how to control myself. I know the feeling all too well. I'm nervous. And I can't help it.

"You're still here?" I mumbled quietly. "I thought you left."

"I figured you need help, so here I am."

Lizzie flashed me an innocent smile as she began to put a few of the microphones that were laid out on the table one by one inside of a utility supply case. I continued what I was doing, keeping my distance. Despite the lack of words between us, and the deafening silence, my thoughts couldn't be louder if they wanted to. There's so much I want to say, but I don't know where to start.

"You sounded great earlier." I blurted out, not making eye contact.

"Really? You think so?"

"Oh, yeah." I chuckled, making my way to her so I could put the rest of the microphones inside of one case. "You were a natural up there."

"That's great, because for a second I thought I was going to faint."

"Why?"

She let out a longing sigh, "I don't know, I just don't like having a lot of attention on me all at once. And plus, I wasn't really planning on performing tonight. MK signed me up last minute."